Live OneCare and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install OneCare on a Windows 7 machine and it failed. Why? Is it not compatible with the OS? This was the message I've got.
    AlexB
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:14 PM

Answers

• One Care is not compatible with Windows 7. You can use Microsoft Security Essentials for malware protection - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I used OneCare when I had Vista, and when I decided to cancel, I remember that I had to call Microsoft billing and ask them to turn off the Auto-Renew.

However, I would have thought they would have disabled the auto-renew, because they've announced that OneCare is being discontinued as a product.

And I can certainly vouch for Security Essentails, I love it and its free.  However, it doesn't have the same 'central headquarters' type functionality where you can see the status of all your computers at once.  Nor does it have a backup system:  for that, you have to use the built-in Windows Backup feature (which works great, and I love it... it's just not all rolled into one program anymore).

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• One Care is not compatible with Windows 7. You can use Microsoft Security Essentials for malware protection - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Thank you, however, I have an account with MS and OneCare can be run on three machines. I am running it on two already and hoped to hook another one.

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thanks, I figured it is free. The more the better. It also fits Vista, I understand. Would you recommend installing it on a Vista machine with OneCare already in place?
    AlexB
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:08 PM
  • If you are happy with the features and protection One Care provides you can use it until your subscription expires, then transition over to MSE.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:21 PM
  • If you are happy with the features and protection One Care provides you can use it until your subscription expires, then transition over to MSE.

It never expires. They announced that they will renew it automatically and I think the deadline is Jan 2:)
    AlexB
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Your OneCare subscription will eventually expire. Apparently free 6 month subscription extensions are still being applied. Check your subscription status at http://billing.microsoft.com
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Your OneCare subscription will eventually expire. Apparently free 6 month subscription extensions are still being applied. Check your subscription status at http://billing.microsoft.com
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~

It is not a free subscription. I had free subscription on Live OneCare only for a couple of days. I subscribed on Jan 20, 2008 or renewed from the previous year, I don't recall. Now I am getting notes that my subscription is about to renew automatically. There is no option not to renew, unless I go to OneCare property and find it there. So, I am thinking if this new security package is free and possibly better (???) then I should terminate OneCare and switch to this one. I don't mind paying for a good thing. OneCare's never let me down so far as far as I can see, I want the best possible package to be on my machines.

Now, how is what you are saying can be reconciled with the other poster's statement?

AlexB
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I used OneCare when I had Vista, and when I decided to cancel, I remember that I had to call Microsoft billing and ask them to turn off the Auto-Renew.

However, I would have thought they would have disabled the auto-renew, because they've announced that OneCare is being discontinued as a product.

And I can certainly vouch for Security Essentails, I love it and its free.  However, it doesn't have the same 'central headquarters' type functionality where you can see the status of all your computers at once.  Nor does it have a backup system:  for that, you have to use the built-in Windows Backup feature (which works great, and I love it... it's just not all rolled into one program anymore).

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:22 PM
    -steve

It is not a free subscription. I had free subscription on Live OneCare only for a couple of days. I subscribed on Jan 20, 2008 or renewed from the previous year, I don't recall. Now I am getting notes that my subscription is about to renew automatically. There is no option not to renew, unless I go to OneCare property and find it there. So, I am thinking if this new security package is free and possibly better (???) then I should terminate OneCare and swith to this one. I don't mind paying for a good thing. OneCare's never let me down so far as far as I can see, I want to best possible package to be on my machines.

Now, how is what you are saying can be reconciled with the other poster's statement?

AlexB

OneCare subscription can no longer be purchased or renewed. Starting in the summer of 2009, all expiring subscriptions were automatically renewed at the renewal date - for free - for 6 months. I don't know the status of these free extensions, but you will not be charged if your OneCare subscription is renewed. To confirm this, feel free to contact customer service:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

As for what was posted to the thread you linked to on the Technet forums: 

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:34 PM