Optimize Backup Performance Setting under Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I was just looking through the server manager to see the size of my full backup and ran across a setting for backup performance.

It is set to "Faster Backup Performance" which say it improves backup speed at the cost of reduced server performance as much as 200%.  Why is this option selected instead of "Normal Backup Performance"?  I am not familiar with these settings, but am curious as to why backup speed would need to be increased at the cost of server performance?

Thanks,

Chad

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:35 AM

Answers

• The faster backup speed option takes advantage of the persistent snapshots. One of the disadvantages is the reverse copy on each write on the volumes which decreases the performance of the write operation 1.5 to 2 times. There is no impact on read. The advantage is backups themselves are super quick because the server can quickly send only the changed bits to the external drive.

Please note that we currently doing a full performance review and if this does become a bottleneck it will be tweaked appropriately by the time we release. Please feel free to change these settings and see if there is any visible impact to your normal server operations.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by crwagner Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:09 AM

All replies

• There's a trade-off involved between server performance and backup performance. I can't speak for Microsoft, but it would make sense to me that a task that will run during periods when the server is lightly used should be run at a relatively high priority, to minimize the window during which it might have an impact.

Or perhaps it's the default. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:17 AM
  • The faster backup speed option takes advantage of the persistent snapshots. One of the disadvantages is the reverse copy on each write on the volumes which decreases the performance of the write operation 1.5 to 2 times. There is no impact on read. The advantage is backups themselves are super quick because the server can quickly send only the changed bits to the external drive.

Please note that we currently doing a full performance review and if this does become a bottleneck it will be tweaked appropriately by the time we release. Please feel free to change these settings and see if there is any visible impact to your normal server operations.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by crwagner Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:09 AM