Windows Home Server Console Frozen RRS feed

• Question

• I  just purchased an HP Home Server.

I have 2 x 500Gb internal drives and 1 x 1Tb external USB drive.

I can start the Home Server Console, close it, move it around my screen, but it is frozen on the Shared Folders Tab.

I cannot change tabs or access the settings....it is frozen!

It has been "Balancing Storage" for several days (likely because of the slow USB connection, though I have an eSATA cable on order).

Is there any emergency shutdown procedure I can use that will not damage my data??

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:42 AM

Answers

• Try resetting the console; it's in the Options dropdown under the console password text box. If that doesn't free up your console, you can shut your server off by pressing and releasing the power button (on the back). Don't hold it in; a firm tap is enough. It may take a couple of minutes to finish powering down. Then the same firm tap will start it back up.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:36 AM
  • If you just 'tap' the button, and not hold it in, the server will be fine. It will cleanly shut down and in fact, might trigger the 'balancing' to complete as well.

Colin

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:30 PM

All replies

• Try resetting the console; it's in the Options dropdown under the console password text box. If that doesn't free up your console, you can shut your server off by pressing and releasing the power button (on the back). Don't hold it in; a firm tap is enough. It may take a couple of minutes to finish powering down. Then the same firm tap will start it back up.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:36 AM
  • The Options drop down is frozen too!

So....I won't lose any data if I shut down the server when it's "Balancing Drives?"

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:05 PM
  • If you just 'tap' the button, and not hold it in, the server will be fine. It will cleanly shut down and in fact, might trigger the 'balancing' to complete as well.

Colin

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:30 PM
  • OK!

Many thanks!!

I am away on business for a couple of days, but I will try that when I get back and post the result.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Howdy!

Just got back home and tried your suggestions.....it worked just fine~

Many thanks again to Ken & Colin!

As I'm a Newbie to Home Server, is there and advanced user manual I can access?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:30 PM