tune up takes too long RRS feed

• Question

•  

What is the problem? My tuneup used to happen at night and was completed when I got up in a.m.

However it is only 50% complete now after 5 to 6 hrs, which is too long, so I cancel it. I cannot use my computer when tuneup is running, because it slows it down so much.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:02 AM

Answers

• Hi, Kathat0.

The specs for your PC sound fine and don't explain a long running Tune-up. What about hard disk size(s)? Did the problem only start after you installed the new video card or had that been installed long before the problem appeared?

I assume you are running XP on that machine? If not, I'd be looking to increase the memory to improve performance of the computer, but that would not make a drastic difference for Tune-up.

It may be worth contacting support when you get a chance. They can review your PC and make sure that there isn't something conflicting that may be causing the problem. Perhaps a driver or Windows update caused the issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:49 PM

All replies

• About the only action you can take to reduce tune up time is to exclude certain folders such as external storage, photos, videos, backups etc. from the antimalware scan.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:04 AM
  • I moved your thread to the Tune-up folder. While Jim has provided some information to help reduce the time that Tune-up takes, I think we need to know more about your computer. How large of a hard drive or drives? Are there any external drives attached? When is Tune-up scheduled to run? What operating system, how much memory? Did the long running tune-up just start or has this happened multiple times?

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:30 AM
  • I have a HP Pavilion, Intel(R) Pentium(R),4CPU 2.26Ghz, 2.27Ghz,512 MB RAM. I use about 47% of the memory.

I have not altered the computer at all, except I put a new NvidiaGForce card in for games.

I have used OneCare happily for about a year. It was scheduled to do tuneups once a week at 3 a.m. on Th, and would be finished by the time I got up around 8:00 a.m.

The problem started about 5 weeks ago I guess, because OneCare tells me I haven't had a tuneup in 5 weeks. When it started taking so long I turned it off.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Hi, Kathat0.

The specs for your PC sound fine and don't explain a long running Tune-up. What about hard disk size(s)? Did the problem only start after you installed the new video card or had that been installed long before the problem appeared?

I assume you are running XP on that machine? If not, I'd be looking to increase the memory to improve performance of the computer, but that would not make a drastic difference for Tune-up.

It may be worth contacting support when you get a chance. They can review your PC and make sure that there isn't something conflicting that may be causing the problem. Perhaps a driver or Windows update caused the issue.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:49 PM
  • The computer came with XP. Thanks for your help.I will use the link for support.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:39 PM