Blocked PID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've been running my copy of XP for a couple of years now. When I started up my PC today I got the following message from the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool:

'This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation. The product key found on this computer was reported as stolen or lost.'

Can someone please help?

Andy

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KR67P-BH4CD-X67GT
    Windows Product Key Hash: ud62LRG1w+bg8UivL3P5xl6B8pE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2250147-59926
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: cd9bdc57-40d6-49bf-87d1-e43963871fa8
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 11
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

Problem Type: The Product Key Has Been Reported Lost or Stolen
    Description:

The product key on your computer has been reported as lost or stolen. Based on your input, we have determined that the Windows product key found on this computer was blocked because it may have been reported by the original reseller as stolen or lost.

If you suspect this has happened to you, you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Learn how to get genuine below.

The table below shows the differences between the product key you entered and the product key currently in use with your copy of Windows XP. Items marked as "Other" may not necessarily imply a non-genuine Microsoft product.

The product key you entered: The product key found on your PC: Match:
    Product Key: ******-******-******-******-X67GT *****-*****-*****-*****-X67GT Yes
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional Windows XP Professional Yes
    License Type: Other Other Yes

Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:04 AM

Answers

• Andy P,

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

(You posted part of the report, please post the entire text of the report.)

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Andy,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the responses,

I've emailed Microsoft Product Support Services who are looking into this, for your information I have contacted the original seller of my PC, Scan Computers who assure me that this copy of XP has not been reported lost or stolen.

@ Dan please find below the full report if you still want to have a look at it in the meantime, if not thanks for your help anyway.

The COA is for XP Pro and it reads OEM Software in black lettering it is authentic, I have the original disk with the funky holograms and the COA lable on my PC.

@ Stephen I've been running this installation of XP for well over two years now and it usually passes validation without problems.

The only change I've made to my system recently is a bios upgrade.

Regards

Andy P

WGA Data-->

Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-530-645_B4D0AA8B-530-645_B4D0AA8B-530-645

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cd9bdc57-40d6-49bf-87d1-e43963871fa8</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X67GT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2250147-59926</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2025429265-1060284298-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1018.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051230000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>34733DF701842E67</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Scan Computers International Ltd</name><model>Scan 3XS 64 Series</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

I've been sent a new product key and a link to an update tool by MS EMA Tech Support, which has resolved this issue, although no explanation as to why this has occured was given.

Anyhow I'm pleased that this was dealt with quickly and that I didn't have to uninstall my o/s.

Thanks again

Andy

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Andy P,

Just a guess, but it could have been some kind of issue much further up the "food chain" that required that a batch of PKs be classified as nongenuine, and it just so happened that your PK was in that batch.

Glad the Microsoft staff was able to get you back to being Genuine again with minimal hassle.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Andy,

I am glad you are up and running.  I ran the diag results and was shown the Key was blocked by MS. Please re-post again if you need further assistance.

best regards

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:05 PM

All replies

• Andy P,

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

(You posted part of the report, please post the entire text of the report.)

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Andy,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the responses,

I've emailed Microsoft Product Support Services who are looking into this, for your information I have contacted the original seller of my PC, Scan Computers who assure me that this copy of XP has not been reported lost or stolen.

@ Dan please find below the full report if you still want to have a look at it in the meantime, if not thanks for your help anyway.

The COA is for XP Pro and it reads OEM Software in black lettering it is authentic, I have the original disk with the funky holograms and the COA lable on my PC.

@ Stephen I've been running this installation of XP for well over two years now and it usually passes validation without problems.

The only change I've made to my system recently is a bios upgrade.

Regards

Andy P

WGA Data-->

Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-530-645_B4D0AA8B-530-645_B4D0AA8B-530-645

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cd9bdc57-40d6-49bf-87d1-e43963871fa8</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X67GT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2250147-59926</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2025429265-1060284298-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1018.001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051230000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>34733DF701842E67</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Scan Computers International Ltd</name><model>Scan 3XS 64 Series</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

I've been sent a new product key and a link to an update tool by MS EMA Tech Support, which has resolved this issue, although no explanation as to why this has occured was given.

Anyhow I'm pleased that this was dealt with quickly and that I didn't have to uninstall my o/s.

Thanks again

Andy

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Andy P,

Just a guess, but it could have been some kind of issue much further up the "food chain" that required that a batch of PKs be classified as nongenuine, and it just so happened that your PK was in that batch.

Glad the Microsoft staff was able to get you back to being Genuine again with minimal hassle.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Andy,

I am glad you are up and running.  I ran the diag results and was shown the Key was blocked by MS. Please re-post again if you need further assistance.

best regards

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:05 PM