Console Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Couple of weeks ago I noticed a problem with my WHS console. I tried to change the backup schedule and when I would click on settings, it would hang and close (this was from the server, not the client). Was not a huge issue at the time but I tried to to bring up a backup from a couple of nights agoon my pc and got an error saying that my computer could not connect to the home server. I tried on 2 other machines and got the same error. I can't even access the home server from IE, I get the following error

Runtime Error body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }

Server Error in '/Home' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Not sure what to do. I have uninstalled a bunch of recent updates. Uninstalled all the .net stuff that I had and reinstalled it. It looks like the backups are still working, I just can't restore anything until this is resolved. Any idea's?

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

can you logon locally or via Remote Desktop to your home server, and start the console from here? (The clients perform also a Remote Desktop session to the server to establish the Console.)
    Is your server homebuilt or an OEM system?
    Did you install/uninstall any applications or Add-Ins near the time this happened first?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Yes I can log in locally and start the console, all seems fine until I hit settings. Then it locks up and crashes. 

I am able to RDP to the home-server, console opens, but crashes if I select settings.

This is a home built system that has been running for over a year with no issues

The only thing that has installed on the server recently were windows updates (which I have uninstalled) a .net update (uninstalled) and an update to perfectdisk (uninstalled).

I have also uninstalled whiist and webguide, just in case. I did install Orb a month ago, but unistalled a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if this problem existed before or after that. I check that my systems backed up a couple of times a week and all seemed ok.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Hm, crashing if you click Settings is a behavior which happens with Toolkit 1.1 installed and the Windows Firewall on the server disabled (i.e. due to using VPN). Could this be the case in your configuration?

Do you have a NVidia video card in that machine? Certain NVidia drivers tend also to block Remote Desktop, a quick fix for this situation could be the following registry entry (copy the lines to notepad, save it as nvidia.reg on a home server share and import it on your home server into the registry, after that reboot):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:57 PM
  • I uninstalled the toolkit and was able to get back into the settings. I have tried the Nvidia thing but that made no difference. I am still unable to log into the console from one of my pc's to recover a backup and another pc wont install. On the one that the Console is connected on, even though the home server is saying it is backing it up, it tells me that the computer cannot connect to the homne server. I try to bring up http://home-server and I get this.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>

</configuration>

Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Hi,
    did you modify the file WebSites.xml in C:Inetpub\home on your server? Sometimes also an Add-In modifies this and/or forgets to remove it's stuff at uninstall.

This should have content like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <WebSites default="Windows Home Server Home Page">
      <!-- This is a Sample Template
      <WebSite name="OEM internal Website" uri="/OEM" imageUrl="/OEM/icon.png" absolute="false">
      </WebSite>
      <WebSite name="OEM external Website" uri="http://www.OEM.com" imageUrl="http://www.OEM.com/icon.png" absolute="true"> 
    </WebSite> -->
    </WebSites>

Exact lines may differ on various OEM machines, on the HP WHS it's like
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    - <WebSites default="HP MediaSmart Server Home Page">
      <WebSite name="HP MediaSmart Server Home Page" uri="/Webshare/WebCC.m" imageUrl="/Webshare/images/server_icon.gif" absolute="false" />
      <WebSite name="HP MediaSmart Server Webshare" uri="/Webshare" imageUrl="/Webshare/images/webshare_icon.gif" absolute="false" />
      </WebSites>

Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:24 AM
  • All mine has is this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <WebSites default="My Home Website" />

I tried adding in the info that you shared and still got an error, which I figured I would....

Is this fixable, or am I looking at a reinstall of the server?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Not it appears to be something with the c:\instpub\home\web.config file something in line 11....

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

Line 9:  -->
    Line 10: <configuration>
    Line 11:     <connectionStrings/>
    Line 12:     <system.web>
    Line 13:         <trace enabled="true" localOnly="false" pageOutput="false"/>

Source File: c:\inetpub\home\web.config    Line: 11

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407

Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Hi,
    the complete text of my web.config file in that folder is

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
        Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the
        web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
        the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
        A full list of settings and comments can be found in
        machine.config.comments usually located in
        \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
    -->
    <configuration>
        <connectionStrings/>
        <system.web>
            <trace enabled="false" localOnly="false" pageOutput="false"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

So it looks ok according to your lines.
    Did your server successfully download install the last round of updates, which included .NET Framework 3.5?
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:12 PM
  • It did install .NET 3.5

I did try to uninstall all versions of .NET and reinstall 1 by 1 and testing each one after and still got the same errors.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Aside from re-installing WHS, is there anything else I can try? I have 3 TB of data and don't want to potentially lose anything. 
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Sorry I have no other idea.
    But a server reinstall is not as dangerous, as it sounds. Even if this would not be offered, you can still recover your data, as long as you don't have done a new installation instead of a reinstallation. (More in the FAQ forum.)
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:14 PM