Import of CRM 4 to CRM 2011 stop/fail without error RRS feed

• Question

• I started the import of a production CRM 4 database to CRM 2011.

THe database in +- 105 GB in size.

THe import runs for days to +-99% or so it seems but remains on the same message on the screen namely "Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.UpgradeWorkflowInstanceAction"

If I look at the SQL transactions from the SQL profiles then no transactions is running. It seems the Deployment Manager timeout or something.

When I stop (kill) and start the deployment manager again in seems to continue where it stoped but the import end up in the failed state. and the trace log shows no errors.

I think it failed because I "killed" it but how could I prevent it from timeout.

I left the import in this state for 5 days without no progress before I killed it.

I did onece got it to ask me to retry since if failed but it then kept on failing with an error saying I could not upgrade 23 workflow items in asyncoperations

P.S

This happend also previously on the delete service phase but I resolve this by cleaning up the AsyncOperations table with a script from KB article and this seems to help since the delete phase then completed in minutes rather than hours like before.

Marnus Freeman
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Marnus,

The Updagre Workflow Instances action is taking your workflows that are executing or suspended and upgrading them to .NET4. If you have multiple workflow instances this action could take a long time! If you don't need your workflow instances to upgrade you can simply cancel them all before doing the upgrade. Note that your workflow definitions will still upgrade correctly, just not the running instances.

If you want to do that you can do an advanced find on system jobs and cancel everything that is not marked as complete/cancelled. Then you should be able to upgrade fine to 2011

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• So did most of the upgrade succeed or fail.  Did your data come over?
    Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Marnus,

The Updagre Workflow Instances action is taking your workflows that are executing or suspended and upgrading them to .NET4. If you have multiple workflow instances this action could take a long time! If you don't need your workflow instances to upgrade you can simply cancel them all before doing the upgrade. Note that your workflow definitions will still upgrade correctly, just not the running instances.

If you want to do that you can do an advanced find on system jobs and cancel everything that is not marked as complete/cancelled. Then you should be able to upgrade fine to 2011

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Are you still facing the issue ?

We had similar issue and it worked after cleaning the AsyncOperations table. Hope you have the the OLEDBTimeout & ExtendedTimeout entries in CRM WEB Server (Refer Method 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918609).

Manoj Batchu
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:51 PM
  •  I could migrate couple of instance with 200+ GB database by running the following steps before starting the Import.

1. Clean Up Async Operation records.
    2. DB Reindexing
    3. Configure the SQL Server memory settings according to the Physical RAM (Need restart of SQL Services).
    4. Add the OLEDBTimeout & ExtendedTimeout entries in CRM WEB Server (Refer Method 1:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918609).
    5. Reboot the WEB Server after doing the changes.

Note: Take backup before starting Step 1 and after completion of Step 2.

Manoj Batchu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:31 PM