Windows Live Domain Service for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have completed the setup of the domain name for my Windows Home Server through Windows Live Custom Domains service, which is one of two or three choices available in WHS Console and the status of it always shows "Working", which is good. I am able to get into my home server remotely using Inernet browser and work with shared folders just fine, but it does not always work. It seems that most of the time Windows Live Costom Domains service, now called Windows Live Admin Center, fails to update the DNS record of my domain name when the IP changes, and it may take hours or a day for me to be able to access my home server again. I could not get anywhere with their tech support, although I had two trouble cases open.
    Does anyone have an idea what can be wrong and how to fix it?

Thank you.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 2:35 AM

Answers

• There should be no need to modify the schedule, and doing so would be unsupported. And inadvisable; every 15 minutes is already pretty frequent. Many dynamic DNS providers will cut off your access if you try to update that frequently.

In any case, it doesn't sound like your issue lies on your server, but rather is in the hands of the Windows Live Custom Domains service. Given that it's (effectively) a free service, I wouldn't expect too much from it, but I would continue to follow up with them. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by digimonx Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:07 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• It just takes some time to update after your external IP address changes.WHS accesses an application on the Windows Live servers every now and then, and if your IP has changed it updates DNS. That then propagates out as needed. The schedule on WHS is (I think) every 15 minutes, so any problem would have to be external.

• Marked as answer by digimonx Monday, February 2, 2009 1:44 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by digimonx Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:07 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Thank you for your response. Is there a way to customize that schedule on WHS (maybe using registry editor) or is it hardcoded?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:24 AM
  • There should be no need to modify the schedule, and doing so would be unsupported. And inadvisable; every 15 minutes is already pretty frequent. Many dynamic DNS providers will cut off your access if you try to update that frequently.

In any case, it doesn't sound like your issue lies on your server, but rather is in the hands of the Windows Live Custom Domains service. Given that it's (effectively) a free service, I wouldn't expect too much from it, but I would continue to follow up with them. :)

• Marked as answer by digimonx Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:07 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:11 PM