MCU resource question RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning o run a Beta with Microsoft OCS and would like to know few things.
    • When OCS does video conferencing with RoundTable or with other third party cameras I guess the conferencing resources are provided by the A/V server which does the video switching. Does this solution requires any hardware MCU to acheive this or is it done just by the A?V based software video switching.
    • If A/V does all the video mixing does it provide capabilities like Transrating and Transcoding.
    • Can we have more than two RoundTable units join a single video conferencing
    • Is there any scalability numbers with this like whats the maximum number of video participants in a single conference with A/V as the software based MCU
    It will be really great if we can bypass any hardware based MCU and do with just the A/V server.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Regards,
    Arijit
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• OCS A/V conferencing MCU handles the video confernecing and no other hardware is needed (Windows Server, naturally).

I believe conferencing in general is tested up to 10 presenters...(although it may be six that's officially supported).

You can  have a 3-way, 4-way video conference each location sporting a RoundTable and all attendees will see active speaker and panorama of the room of the active speaker.

Monday, April 23, 2007 5:48 AM

All replies

• OCS A/V conferencing MCU handles the video confernecing and no other hardware is needed (Windows Server, naturally).

I believe conferencing in general is tested up to 10 presenters...(although it may be six that's officially supported).

You can  have a 3-way, 4-way video conference each location sporting a RoundTable and all attendees will see active speaker and panorama of the room of the active speaker.

Monday, April 23, 2007 5:48 AM
  • Note that the OCS A/V software-based MCU does not provide transcoding, continuous presence (it shows the active speaker only), and does not support any standalone video conference equipment (e.g. Polycom, Tandberg, Sony) other than the MS Roundtable device.

A separate hardware MCU is required to provide these features and vendor-agnostic SIP integration.

Friday, May 25, 2007 6:40 PM