WHS - Server Folder Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup 8 PC's on my WHS, 6 of them work 100%, but I seem to be having trouble with 2 of them. Firstly, PC1 was a WINXP PC and had problems accessing shared folders, the OS was stuffed so I formated and reloaded a new OS "Vista Business", I installed the connector software - loaded 100% , access to shared folders is limited, I can open and read contents but cannot save to that folder. I have deleted the account on the server and resetup the account, I have un-installed and re-installed the connector sftware but still no luck. I have gone as far as adding that user to the folder security tab with full permissions as well but still no luck. The user's PC is backing up with no problems, as well as the remote desktop works 100%, any ideas on what the problem could be? the same proble with the second PC.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

• Take a look at this FAQ and see if it's applicable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:42 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ and see if it's applicable.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hi Ken,

will try tomorrow and let you know, thanks thus far for the help.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:05 AM
  • "I can open and read contents but cannot save to that folder."

I had the same issue with creating a User account that needed read/write access to a playlist folder in the shared Music folder on my WHS box. In order to automatically login to the shared Music folder at client bootup time, the User account must be password-free. But WHS doesn't really like to give write access to User accounts that have no password.

The solution I found requires not only Remote Access to the WHS box desktop, but digging into the folder structure of the WHS box as well. There are multiple levels of shared folder access permission dialogs, and the deepest one doesn't appear to be accessible from the WHS Shared Folders list on the Remote Access desktop.

What was necessary was to open the D: partition in My Computer on the WHS desktop. The WHS Shared Folders are stored in a folder called "shares". Each shared folder has a right-click menu which provides a "Sharing and Security..." command. This opens a dialog that allows "Share this folder" and provides a Permissions button. Click that button and you will get a dialog that allows you to assign access rights to individual User accounts and Groups. Highlight a particular User account and you can grant Read and Write access to the account. If the Write box is not checked in this dialog, none of the higher level folder permissions dialogs will be able to grant write access to the account (regardless of what their dialog boxes may indicate).

If the WHS Console provides an alternate way to reliably enable Shared Folder write access to a User account, I'd be interested to hear the details.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:58 PM
  • You can grant read or write access to a share to any user you create through the console, no matter what password that user does or doesn't have. windows Home Server doesn't support more granular access control, however. Changing access to a folder within a Windows home Server share may have unexpected results, including having Windows Home Server replace the access you grant at some point in the future.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:17 PM
  • "You can grant read or write access to a share to any user you create through the console, no matter what password that user does or doesn't have."

That's what I first assumed, but what I found is that the Permissions dialogs accessible to the WHS Console do not accurately report the deeper layers of Shared Folder permissions that must be enabled in order for the higher level permissions dialogs to grant access rights. There appear to be at least three layers of permissions on the WHS box, and the only way I've found to access these deeply buried permissions dialogs is via Remote Acces to the WHS box desktop. The WHS Console appears to have access only to the highest (i.e. most subordinate) level of permissions dialogs.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:38 PM
  • If you use the tools supplied in Windows Home Server, you can manage permissions at the level of the shares. That's what's supported in Windows Home Server. If you need (as opposed to want) more control than that, then you need a product other than Windows Home Server, because trying to manage permissions through remote desktop will eventually result in access issues.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:43 PM
  • The WHS is working well for my needs and it's a solid product that provides an excellent alternative to RAID via Duplicate Shared Folders. Thanks for confirming the limited administrator functionality of the WHS Console.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:09 PM