none
USB Diagnosis for Win 7/64 when using audio interfaces RRS feed

• Question

• I have posted in various forums with some progress, but no resolution. I am trying to investigate what is happening when I use either of 2 USB 1.1 interfaces that use asio drivers for pro audio on an Acer 5536 AMD RM-74 based laptop. The machine is unusable for this audio when I run Windows 7, 64-bit, but the same machine is fine when running Vista 32-bit.

I have run Xperf to log and display what happens when I play an audio file using asio drivers over USB, open the "Sound" area of Windows Control Panel and switch between the Recording and Playback tabs.  When the Recording tab is selected, the usb is smooth and consistent, when Playback tab is selected, the usb repeats short blocks of CONTROL_TRANSFER + ISOCH_TRANSFER. This confirms previous observations with a demo version of a USB Sniffer.  Inserting an external USB2 hub cures all the problem, but I am keen to learn what is happening.

This all leads me towards a guess that there is some clash between the Win7/64 OS and the usb part of the particular chipset on this laptop. I have tried logging the events that differ when I change between the two tabs, using Sysinternals Process Monitor, but I can't see anything obvious.

I have been adding other xperf traces such as MediaFoundation-Performance, WMP, Power-Troubleshooter, Kernel-ACPI and more but without seeing anything or really knowing when or if these might report anything.

Can anyone suggest the next move or where I might get more guidance?

Friday, July 9, 2010 7:06 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Well, as I've been bounced back here from the diagnostic tools forum, I might as well update the question as I've made a little progress but not arrived at any answer.

Using Logman and Netmon, I now have usb logs over the failure trigger period that clearly show the events when the system works and the changed events when it doesn't work.

I've asked on the Music and Sound forum and an ETW forum, but had no breakthrough replies.

On a usb non-Microsoft forum, I have been advised to keep digging from the usb side, so I am trying to study usb in more depth. It has also been suggested that I should be trying to study Interprocess communications wrt usb commands within the machine, but I have searched without finding any really appropriate low enough level training info as yet. I assume this would aim more at the "Why does changing tabs in control panel affect the usb data" question rather than the actual usb data.

Around the point of failure, I see SELECT_INTERFACE commands being issued. Are these the same as the USB standard SET_INTERFACE commands? Where do I ask that question?

I guess I'm still searching for a way to track a repeatable usb failure back into the OS (I've now established that it happens on Win7 64 and 32-bit).

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest creating a new thread for your question in the ( Windows Client TechCenter > Windows 7 IT Pro Forums > Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility ) forum located here:  ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Tagore Bandlamudi Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, August 30, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Thanks, Tagore. I have asked there in the past without success, but I will post an updated question and see what transpires.

Bill

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:44 PM