quarentine RRS feed

• Question

• cannot access quarentine; says encountered problem needs to close, contact support

Friday, July 4, 2008 9:59 PM

Answers

• yabble, carefully compare the text of your error message to the one described below. If it’s identical, then go ahead and try this fix, and please let us know if you have any problem with it. If the text of the error message is not identical, then please follow JimR1’s advice.

The Problem

When you open the OneCare Quarantine window you get an error message stating: "The virus and spyware protection service encountered an unknown problem. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support."  When you click “OK” the Quarantine window is closed, preventing you from inspecting or managing the files in the Quarantine.

The Hypothetical Cause of the Problem

For some unknown reason, it seems that a corrupt entry is sometimes created in the OneCare Quarantine. As EddyH noted previously, when the Quarantine window is opened it attempts to list, or “index”, the entries in the “Entries” subfolder in order to populate the Quarantine window. It appears that the error message is generated when the indexing engine fails in its attempt to read the corrupted entry. When I encountered this problem, it seemed to me that the indexing engine was able to resume and complete the listing without being halted by the error, suggesting that a revision of the error-handling code might be sufficient to eliminate this problem.

The Simple Solution and the Difficulty with it

In my original thread regarding this issue, I merely reported what I had done to solve the problem on my XP system. Thanks to the feedback of forum members, it has become apparent that this simple fix, which essentially involves nothing more than deleting the contents of the “Entries” folder, is being hobbled by the difficulty of navigating to the target folder. To find the “Entries” folder, first open Windows Explorer. In Vista, press the Alt key to display the menu bar. Then click on the “Tools” menu and “Folder Options”. In Folder Options, click on the “View” tab, and then click the radio button titled “Show hidden files and folders, then “Apply” and “OK”. On an XP system, Windows Explorer will not be able to find the “Entries” folder if you paste the path into the address bar, so you will need to manually navigate to the folder (or use Search).

The file path for Windows XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries

The file path for Vista is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries

Once you have the “Entries” folder open, click the “Edit” menu and “Select All”, then click the “File” menu and “Delete”. Confirm that you want to send these files to the Recycle Bin.

Additional Steps to Retrieve a False Positive

The next part of the fix is optional and only needs to be done if you are interested in examining the contents of the Quarantine, or if there is some suspicion that the Quarantine might contain a false positive that you would need to recover. In this case you should open the Recycle Bin and restore each of the deleted entries one at a time, opening the Quarantine window after each restoration to examine the result. You should be able to examine the restored entry, and either delete or restore it, in every case except one: The exception will be the case where you open the Quarantine window after restoring the corrupt entry and get the familiar error message. Since the indexing fails for this entry, you will then need to return to the “Entries” folder in Windows Explorer and manually delete the corrupt file.

GreginMich

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:59 AM

All replies

• You will have to contact support for help with this. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:20 PM
  • yabble, carefully compare the text of your error message to the one described below. If it’s identical, then go ahead and try this fix, and please let us know if you have any problem with it. If the text of the error message is not identical, then please follow JimR1’s advice.

The Problem

When you open the OneCare Quarantine window you get an error message stating: "The virus and spyware protection service encountered an unknown problem. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support."  When you click “OK” the Quarantine window is closed, preventing you from inspecting or managing the files in the Quarantine.

The Hypothetical Cause of the Problem

For some unknown reason, it seems that a corrupt entry is sometimes created in the OneCare Quarantine. As EddyH noted previously, when the Quarantine window is opened it attempts to list, or “index”, the entries in the “Entries” subfolder in order to populate the Quarantine window. It appears that the error message is generated when the indexing engine fails in its attempt to read the corrupted entry. When I encountered this problem, it seemed to me that the indexing engine was able to resume and complete the listing without being halted by the error, suggesting that a revision of the error-handling code might be sufficient to eliminate this problem.

The Simple Solution and the Difficulty with it

In my original thread regarding this issue, I merely reported what I had done to solve the problem on my XP system. Thanks to the feedback of forum members, it has become apparent that this simple fix, which essentially involves nothing more than deleting the contents of the “Entries” folder, is being hobbled by the difficulty of navigating to the target folder. To find the “Entries” folder, first open Windows Explorer. In Vista, press the Alt key to display the menu bar. Then click on the “Tools” menu and “Folder Options”. In Folder Options, click on the “View” tab, and then click the radio button titled “Show hidden files and folders, then “Apply” and “OK”. On an XP system, Windows Explorer will not be able to find the “Entries” folder if you paste the path into the address bar, so you will need to manually navigate to the folder (or use Search).

The file path for Windows XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries

The file path for Vista is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries

Once you have the “Entries” folder open, click the “Edit” menu and “Select All”, then click the “File” menu and “Delete”. Confirm that you want to send these files to the Recycle Bin.

Additional Steps to Retrieve a False Positive

The next part of the fix is optional and only needs to be done if you are interested in examining the contents of the Quarantine, or if there is some suspicion that the Quarantine might contain a false positive that you would need to recover. In this case you should open the Recycle Bin and restore each of the deleted entries one at a time, opening the Quarantine window after each restoration to examine the result. You should be able to examine the restored entry, and either delete or restore it, in every case except one: The exception will be the case where you open the Quarantine window after restoring the corrupt entry and get the familiar error message. Since the indexing fails for this entry, you will then need to return to the “Entries” folder in Windows Explorer and manually delete the corrupt file.

GreginMich

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Worked like a charm, GreginMich.  It would be nice if this were on the support page for WLOC, but....

Peace,

Trevor

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Agree!...fix worked perfectly! Thanks!

Saturday, November 8, 2008 8:35 AM
  • GreginMich

It worked perfectly. I copied your instructions should there be a need in the future. I cannot thank you enough. Have a great day, you certainly made mine one.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:01 PM
  • With a few clicks of the mouse, problem solved! Thanks bro!
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:40 PM