firewall issue with beta 2.0 and xbox 360, media center extender functionality RRS feed

• Question

• I think I've exhausted all search options for this solution, so as a last resort I thought I would post here.

I have an issue with not being able to stream music or videos on my XBox 360 on the media extender portion.

I can watch videos, listen to music just fine from the blades of the XBox, but as soon as I go to the Media Extender portion it simply will not work.

Now, as a test I uninstalled OC to see if I could connect that way, and as expected, it worked just fine.

I have set all of the proper checks in OC and I tried different settings from forums that I've run across, and nothing seemed to do the trick.

The one thing that I could not give a shot to was to change my own ports or protocols manually. Maybe I'm not too sure in this process, but if someone could walk me thru that, that would be great.

Proper ports to set would be greatly appreciated. I've had metioned to me Ports 6,13, but not even sure if that is correct.

Anyone else seen a similar situation?

Kind regards, Aaron

Monday, October 8, 2007 2:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• If using the Firewall connection tool in OneCare doesn't resolve this, (change settings, Firewall tab) contact support.

Is this the 2.0 beta?

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Please file a bug on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for the feed back Steve.

That would be great to hear back from MS on this. I love the product, just have been frustrated trying to make it work.

It is Beta 2.0, and I will go and give some feedback to them.

Hope I can resolve this issue. I'm not comfortable with other 'anti-virus' softwares that I have as options. Besides, I've paid for OneCare already.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:18 PM
  •  

Hi Aaron,

Is your network connection at home set to a "Home/Work" network? If it's set as a public network, media center extender won't work. Otherwise, since you've already set up the media center ports in the Ports and Protocols tab it seems, you should be all set I believe.

Please let us know if that doesn't fix the problem, and thanks for trying out OneCare.

-John

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:19 PM
  • G'day all,

Thank you so much for the replies.

I wanted to update you on how it went with my installation.

After being frustrated with beta 2.0 I uninstalled the software completely. I also used the removal tool supplied on the OneCare site for making sure it was completely removed.

I then went and installed AVG and went with the standard Vista firewall settings.

Unimpressed with this set up, I went back last night and installed V1.6 of OneCare. To my surprise everything worked well. My XBox Media Blade along with the Media Center extender functionality saw my music/videos and streamed them with no errors.

Funny thing, but v2.0 released just several hours later. Do I dare update???

I'll post my results.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:22 PM
  • If you installed last night, you have version 2.0 now.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Oh, and thanks for posting your experiences!

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Indeed I do have 2.0.

Everything is functioning correctly and works great!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Very happy with the results now.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:26 AM