Virus protection and Malware keep turning themselves off. RRS feed

• Question

• Occassionally my virus protection and malware keep turning themselves off. I'm not sure what causes it but when it happens it also wipes out my itunes library. I have to reload all my music files into itunes library and all work done there is lost.

Also, on the "Windows Security Center" window it shows the malware and virus prtotection turned off. It won't allow me to turn it back on. Yet, on the "Windows Live OneCare" window it says that the system status is good and there is no action to take!!

I have ran a virus scan but nothing shows up. Is there any help out there?

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:45 PM

Answers

• I recommend contacting OneCare Support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

I can't imagine why this would cause your iTunes library to get wiped out. There should be no relationship to this at all. It may mean that your Windows profile is corrupt or that the hard drive is failing in some way, but that seems only a remote possibility.

When the protection is reported to be off, I assume that you are able to simply turn it right back on again from within OneCare?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:32 PM