SyncToy 2.1 VERY VERY slow... unusable... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I've seen quite a few posts about 2.1's viability as a real power tool, and I'll chime in with my experience.

Once it's set up, it works, but only with relatively small changes. Large amounts of changes (large numbers of files... 100's or 1000's) seem to kill the process altogether. It will run then stop... for hours... then continue... then stop... for hours. I've had it stop for three hours after processing 65 files, only to come back 10 hours later to see it was at 400, only to see 4 hours later that it was still at 400 (this was on an initial run).

Someone mentioned it uses timestamps, not content. I would disagree (using experience alone)... I have a folder with 4 files of about 1-2gb each, and it takes (at least) 4-5 min to prepare ("Looking for changes in...") those EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I have other folders with a lot of small files and it rips through those relatively quickly. Both folders have files that have been changed.

Basically, it seems to randomly hang... my CPU doesn't spike to 100%, but the app seems to sit at a particular file (or folder) for hours at a time. Restarting gets it going... but each time you restart, the "Looking for changes in..." portion take 5-10 minutes.

I've been told that it's been rewritten and using the Sync engine... either the code isn't efficient, or the engine does not work as well as had been hoped. But in either event... the tool is moving itself toward the Recycle Bin for me. I will likely move back to 1.4 and give it one more try. We'll see how it goes.

Dushan

Sunday, May 1, 2011 6:31 PM