adding a new non DE pool drive to WHS v1 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using WHS v1 (not 2011)

I have three 1.5Tb drives installed of which 20Gb is C: and the remainder allocated to the storage pool D:

I want to add another drive letter which is not part of the DE pool.

I have one spare drive bay and a spare unused 1.5Tb drive.

Can I partition this drive and use say 100Gb for another drive letter say F: and then add the remainder of the 1.5Tb drive to the DE pool?

If yes, what are the steps please :)

Thanks,

Kevin

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:32 AM

All replies

• The entire drive will become part of the drive pool when you add it.  The WHS console only shows drives, not partitions, thereby making what you want to do impossible.

However, this is what I have done.  I have a drive that is partitioned into three parts, therefore 3 drive letters.  I have shared two of the partitions and they appear in the Shared Folders on client computers.  This makes them available to client computers but not part of the drive pool.  However, they will not be available through the Remote Access Shared Folders. 

Hope this helps.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm using WHS v1 (not 2011)

I have three 1.5Tb drives installed of which 20Gb is C: and the remainder allocated to the storage pool D:

I want to add another drive letter which is not part of the DE pool.

I have one spare drive bay and a spare unused 1.5Tb drive.

Can I partition this drive and use say 100Gb for another drive letter say F: and then add the remainder of the 1.5Tb drive to the DE pool?

If yes, what are the steps please :)

Thanks,

Kevin

BullDawg
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:59 AM