How do you add file extensions to OneCare Backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add certain files like graphics files that need to be backed up. As I Look throught the files exentions included in the default plan, I don't see the file extensions. How can I include other important file extensions in my OnceCare Backup plan?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can't add file extensions to the plan. File extensions are coded into the application.

Have a look at this KB article for details - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/943776/en-us

Many unlisted extensions are backed up when your plan includes *other* file types.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Thanks,

Thats disconcerting. Where can I find a list of file extensions that are included with the "Other" File types?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Unfortunately, they don't list them. However, I suspect that you will find that most are indeed included. When you confirgure backup you can review what files will be backed up. Scroll the list for files that you specifically are concerned with to see if they are being backed up.
    You can make that process easier by excluding all location other than a specific folder that you are interested in and then reviewing the backed up files list.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:11 PM