Final step of sysprep didn't ask for product key RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the instructions on the OEM Pre-installation Kit and was able to build a master image, which I cloned and then booted up on a system with identical hardware configuration. The system booted up and started running and I was never prompted for a new Product key.

I customized the system to do an auto login, since this is a "feature" of the system we are building. Could this be the reason it didn't prompt for a new key?

I used a utility called keyfinder.exe to show me what product key was used in the install and it was one that I don't even have in stock. It is definitely not the one I used to build the initial system.

I am reluctant to activate this unit or use the master again until I figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:33 PM

Answers

• Problem solved, I located the Activate link in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu clicked on it and I was prompted for the new Product ID. The Product ID that was showing before activation is a generic testing ID that I assume can't be activated.

You are right about the intended use of WHS but because it has its roots in W2K3 SBS it is uniquely qualified with respect to superior memory management and reletively low overhead for our appliance where the user is logged directly into our program and the desktop is disabled.

• Marked as answer by captain paul Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:56 PM

All replies

• Odd. I get prompted for the product key when I boot a sysprepped image the first time (well, when I go through OOBE, anyway).

I would recommend you rethink your design; Windows Home Server is not designed to have a user logged in on the desktop at all times.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Problem solved, I located the Activate link in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu clicked on it and I was prompted for the new Product ID. The Product ID that was showing before activation is a generic testing ID that I assume can't be activated.

You are right about the intended use of WHS but because it has its roots in W2K3 SBS it is uniquely qualified with respect to superior memory management and reletively low overhead for our appliance where the user is logged directly into our program and the desktop is disabled.

• Marked as answer by captain paul Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:56 PM