Server and other client WHS tray icons reports "health risk - no AV or Firewall" but clients them selves are fine and show no errors, with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have upgraded all the machines on my home network to Windows 7 RTM (2 Ultimate and 1 Home Premium)  Each client is running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and the tray icon of each reports no errors for itself but  reports the other clients have no AV or firewall and the icon is always red.  KIS 2010 does support Windows 7 and the action center of each client machine reports it is protected and up to date.  The server console shows an error for the connected machines of no or out of date AV/firewall protection.  This is annoying and I can't seem to get it to stop.  When all clients are up and running, with all showing a green icon, eventually the server will display the error and at least one client tray icon will go red but not all of them, and the error causing the red icon will not be for the machine the icon goes red on, it will be for a machine happily displaying a green icon saying it's just fine.  All machines back up fine and RDP works and no other errors are noted, just this crazy and inconsistent tray icon business.  Would upgrading to PP3 help sort things out with Windows 7?  I don't like to run beta software on my backup device but if it's stable and will not effect the upgrade to the final version, I'm game to get rid of these error messages.  Can anyone help?
    • Edited by dslabby Friday, August 21, 2009 4:14 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:39 PM

All replies

• (I'll note, just as a sort of aside, that you can't "legally" put Technet software into production use. This is part of the agreement when you subscribe: Technet software is for development and testing only. So your upgraded PCs aren't, technically, "legal". Not that I care personally, but from the way you phrased that statement I thought you might... :) )

The issue with Windows 7 appears to me to be a result of changes to the Security Center in Windows 7. You can try installing the beta of Pwer Pack 3 for Windows Home Server and see if that helps...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I have upgraded all the machines on my home network to Windows 7 RTM (2 Ultimate and 1 Home Premium)  Each client is running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and the tray icon of each reports no errors for itself but  reports the other clients have no AV or firewall and the icon is always red.  KIS 2010 does support Windows 7

No, KIS 2010 is not compatible with 7 at this time (and that may be why you're having a problem).

and the action center of each client machine reports it is protected and up to date.  The server console shows an error for the connected machines of no or out of date AV/firewall protection.  This is annoying and I can't seem to get it to stop.  When all clients are up and running, with all showing a green icon, eventually the server will display the error and at least one client tray icon will go red but not all of them, and the error causing the red icon will not be for the machine the icon goes red on, it will be for a machine happily displaying a green icon saying it's just fine.  All machines back up fine and RDP works and no other errors are noted, just this crazy and inconsistent tray icon business.  Would upgrading to PP3 help sort things out with Windows 7?  I don't like to run beta software on my backup device but if it's stable and will not effect the upgrade to the final version, I'm game to get rid of these error messages.  Can anyone help?

Friday, August 21, 2009 7:26 PM