Please take a minute to confirm that. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have myself windows vista ultimate retail installed on my desktop. I have a laptop as well. I can't confirm number of installation times from those different version such as "full version retail" "upgrade version" "oem version". Search many websites, and not sure if what they said it's right or not since I can't find anything on official website. I want to get one for my laptop and I need to know which one better for me.

So full version (retail) can be install on any system, build without OS or system with any previous version of OS installed. Can also upgrade change that system (the components like video card I guess?) reactive as many times as I like. (Can be installed on one PC?).   This is expensive for my laptop.

Upgrade versions, must already have a windows xp installed on HD on system I want to activate. After Vista is activated, the XP key that was upgraded become invalid? (My windows xp pro is genuine, does it mean I can't install it and use anymore as win xp?) What if I have a critical errors, can I still install xp pro then upgrade?    Was considered it but it would cancel my windows xp pro key... there special offer from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/familydiscount.mspx too..

OEM version. There no support from microsoft? Can allow upgrade or clean install. OEM licences can't transfer to another system. If you upgrade your system, you're limited what you can change. (So I can change my memory, dvd-rom, harddrive and such on laptop if in the future is needed?) How many activations i'm allowed?   This was considered for my laptop choice since I don't really need to upgrade my system components.

Thanks,

Harley

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:30 PM

Answers