Portfolio Columns Useable Without the Microsoft Servers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Portfolio quotes from Microsoft servers should continue through January 2011. See http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.mspx and FAQ at http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx After that, those servers will go away. You can then enter quotes by hand or use of scripts that get quotes for you. Those of us trying out Money Plus Sunset don't get those quotes from the Microsoft servers with Sunset.

Without downloads from the Microsoft servers, many Portfolio columns continue to work because the values are computed from transaction history and quotes.  Quotes can be entered by hand, or you can use the PocketSense scripts to download quotes.  Most other columns will no longer work, because the data for those is downloaded rather than computed from history and price quotes. Here are columns that I find to be useful, and which work without the Microsoft servers. Symbol, Name, LastPrice, Quantity, MarketValue, Gain, PriceAppreciation PriceAppreciation, TotalAnnualizedReturn, TotalReturn-1Week, TotalReturn-4Weeks, TotalReturn-3Month,TotalReturn-YTD, TotalReturn-3Month,TotalReturn-YTD, TotalReturn-1Year, TotalReturn-3Year, TotalReturn-AllDates, LastTransactionDate, Memo, %OfPortfolio, AverageCost, Commissions, Currency, CurrencyCode, CallDate, BondType.

There are probably some others related to options that will also work.

Some columns, such as %Change and TotalChange will show blank. Others, such as DividendYield and LastTransaction, will display stale data.

To edit which Portfolio columns are used, do Portfolio->ChangePortfolioView->CustomizeCurrentView->PortfolioColumns

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• This is great info for editing the portfolio column view as we go forward.

I wish Microsoft had at least made the OFX MEMO tag work when they closed the final Sunset build. Then we would have been able to stuff our custom requirements in there. For now we can manually type things like Yield in the Investment details that don't change to often.

You can even sort on the first characters of this field. I'm going to type things like '4.99% yield' to get the most important column back I need.

As for actually knowing if the stock was updated in the absence of 'last updated' working for OFX file import I guess vigilance and random checking of ''Work with Investments' -> Manually Update and looking at the update dates is the only way.

....Could have been alot worse :-) It may still take years for the other offerings to provide multi-currency investment view.s

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:40 AM
  • ....Could have been alot worse :-) It may still take years for the other offerings to provide multi-currency investment view.s

I agree. Surely there is a viable market for this sort of personal finance software? Maybe not with the profitability that Microsoft demand, but surely comfortable enough to support a small company. I would happily pay an annual fee for continued MS Money support.

But as you write, the other products out there are very primitive compared to Money.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:10 PM
  • I've found a useful workaround for no 'last updated'. I use ''TR Week '' next to the ticker in portfolio view.

That way, if for some reason the scripts are not updating the price, you can easily see stale data if this metric remains at 0.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:02 PM
  • I have noticed that Rating Column (StockScouter Ratings) still works.  Or at least the link works.  The numbers showing up on Microsoft Money for the ratings do not seem to update though.  But the link to the current rating seems to work OK.  So too does the Chart column.  The link still points to Interactive Charts on the MSN Money Investing site. 

I have also noticed that if I navigate to MSN Money Investing from within Microsoft Money, selecting Portfolio on the web site links me back to my local portfolio on Microsoft Money.  Very nice!

I wonder if these links will persist. 

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Good to know!
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:34 PM