Back up USB Sticks! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

Just thought it be really neat if the home server was able to back up USB sticks inserted in to a users computer. wouldn't be at a certain time like the early morning like the main backup was done but more like then it USB wasn't active or in use.

Just thought it be a neat feature!

Stick out tongue

PS I know it is possible if it was plugged in and on that computer that drive letter was set to back up but atm WHS only backs up NTFS and I belive most USB sticks are fat or fat32, I know mine is and I didn't get the option to format it was NTFS.

but even so the timing idea would be neat.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• That's because the thumb drive is not large enough to be format with NTFS.  It's a very interesting idea, but do you keep your thumb drive connected at all times or at night?  I know personally, I always disconnect them but I also place a copy of what's on them onto my home server.  Usually DATA on my thumb drives is just for portability (or old use before Windows Home Server, backups).

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Microsoft has a very little publicised 'USB Flash Drive Manager' which provides a backup and labelling facility for USB Sticks. It is available for free download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94991901-bfc4-485e-bcae-c9df0accdaae&displaylang=en . You can backup to a mapped drive, although I would take care as it may suffer from the same issues as Synctoy with possible data corruption.

It allows backup and restore of complete Memory Sticks. Fairly basic, but functional.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:01 PM

All replies

• That's because the thumb drive is not large enough to be format with NTFS.  It's a very interesting idea, but do you keep your thumb drive connected at all times or at night?  I know personally, I always disconnect them but I also place a copy of what's on them onto my home server.  Usually DATA on my thumb drives is just for portability (or old use before Windows Home Server, backups).

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    That's because the thumb drive is not large enough to be format with NTFS.  It's a very interesting idea, but do you keep your thumb drive connected at all times or at night?  I know personally, I always disconnect them but I also place a copy of what's on them onto my home server.  Usually DATA on my thumb drives is just for portability (or old use before Windows Home Server, backups).

Didn't know that was a reason, not big enough, learn somthing new everyday Stick out tongue

I do keep mine in most of the time, mostly so it doesn't go walkies and the keyring hole no-long is a hole as that bit snapped.
    but this is why I suggested when it isn'ts active or even when it gets plugged in.

I know portability is one use for them but I'm sure alot of people work from it as I do and store important data on it for portability

Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:59 PM
  • While WHS cannot backup a USB stick it will backup up the data on it if you have a local folder that holds the same data that is on your USB stick right? Here's a way to automate to synchronize te data between the computer and the USB stick.

1. Download Microsoft Synctoy (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en)

2. Create a folder on your USB stick and put the Synctoy's files in it, let's call the folder Sync

3. Run SyncToy and setup a folder pair between a folder on your computer and one on your usb stick (see the help file that comes with SyncToy when needed)

4. Create a file called autorun.inf  in the root of your usb stick and insert the following code in it:

Code Snippet
    [autorun]
    action=Start Microsoft Synctoy
    icon=Sync\Synctoy.exe
    open=Sync\Synctoy.exe -R

When you now insert the usb stick you can now easily sync the folders and WHS will backup the data!

Cheers,

Danee

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Microsoft has a very little publicised 'USB Flash Drive Manager' which provides a backup and labelling facility for USB Sticks. It is available for free download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94991901-bfc4-485e-bcae-c9df0accdaae&displaylang=en . You can backup to a mapped drive, although I would take care as it may suffer from the same issues as Synctoy with possible data corruption.

It allows backup and restore of complete Memory Sticks. Fairly basic, but functional.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:01 PM
  • My USB-Drive has 32GB and is formatted with NTFS. Nevertheless WHS will not allow me to backup the data. I don't have enough disk space available to sync the data with my notebook. I think that this is not really a solution for the future.

Joerg
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:46 AM
  • Joerg,

You could create a folder in your Shared Folders on your Clients' desktop, and modify the above script to copy the USB data to there, if it's really important.

Colin

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:34 PM