none
Harware recommendations for Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just downloaded WHS2011 and want to build a new machine to install it.

I know the official minimum specifications (64bits 1.4G CPU, RAM, ...), but I am looking for hardware reviews and advices, like "How to build a quiet server", ...

In fact is there something specific for WHS or can I read websites that helps you build any kind of server (Media Center, ...) ?

Can I go to TigerDirect.com and buy any case/motherboard/CPU ?

Thanks.

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• I speak on a personal recommendation, I have WHS 2011 installed on my HP ProLiant Microserver and runs fantastic. The CPU provides 64bit computing (AMD NEO)

So overall runs very quiet with all HDDs (4 installed) I highly recommend the hardware I mainly use as a media server which its does the job perfectly, Low noise and low power consumption was my requirements and this is what this offered at a fantastic price £225 and a £100 cashback!

Anyway i suppose another question is what are you roles/requirements you want from your Home Server?

Best Regards Lee ______________ www.eitex.co.uk For Business IT Support In Yorkshire
    • Proposed as answer by Scott Wilkins Friday, April 22, 2011 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Great price, Lee, for a server! I wish I were in the UK to take advantage of that offer.

Here's my own personal experience (not intend to recommend or not recommend anything): I installed WHS 2011 on a Dell Poweredge T110. This is a quad core Xeon with 4GB memory. Installation was painless. Took a while but everything was compatible. I didn't have to tinker with Bios or driver or anything.

This machine is solidly built. Easy to swap drives. But it is more noisy than I had hoped for. Yes, the noise issue is very subjective. Some people think it's quiet. Some think it's too noisy. I think it's towards the noisy side. I also installed (for testing) Windows 7 Pro and Small Business Server 2011 on this machine. Absolutely no problem.

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I have WHS 2011 running on a VIA M'SERV S2100 with 4 GB of RAM. ($300 + RAM).  A very low power solution.  It will stream pictures and music without breaking a sweat, but it is a no go for streaming video.  I don't think it is a bad benchmark of how low powered you can go and happily run WHS 2011.   

However, I wouldn't recommend you get an M'SERV due to the lack of information available and terrible support.  I have only contacted VIA to ask minor questions about specs, but if that is any indication then heaven help you if something actually goes wrong.  Luckily I have had no trouble with mine, but if I ever do I will probably just end up trashing it and finding something else.   

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I speak on a personal recommendation, I have WHS 2011 installed on my HP ProLiant Microserver and runs fantastic. The CPU provides 64bit computing (AMD NEO)

So overall runs very quiet with all HDDs (4 installed) I highly recommend the hardware I mainly use as a media server which its does the job perfectly, Low noise and low power consumption was my requirements and this is what this offered at a fantastic price £225 and a £100 cashback!

Anyway i suppose another question is what are you roles/requirements you want from your Home Server?

Best Regards Lee ______________ www.eitex.co.uk For Business IT Support In Yorkshire

Cashback?  Where?  How?
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I am happy to hear that WHS 2011 will run on a T110. I just purchased one with that in mind (new T110 II) but was hoping to try WHS v1 (the old version) because of drive extender. I have had a lot of trouble with the install. Seems to go fine until the reboot when I get a blue screen of death. The Forums suggests using ATA settings in the BIOS, but using those the install does not complete and stops at an error about loading the UI. Dell seems interested in the problem and thinks I may be able to load the right HD drivers for the old version at some point in the install... they think it is a driver problem and are used to installing Small Business Server on this machine. They have been working on this for a couple hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated... I tested installing a copy of Vista on the system and it worked, so I know the basic hardware is OK.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I am happy to hear that WHS 2011 will run on a T110. I just purchased one with that in mind (new T110 II) but was hoping to try WHS v1 (the old version) because of drive extender. I have had a lot of trouble with the install. Seems to go fine until the reboot when I get a blue screen of death. The Forums suggests using ATA settings in the BIOS, but using those the install does not complete and stops at an error about loading the UI. Dell seems interested in the problem and thinks I may be able to load the right HD drivers for the old version at some point in the install... they think it is a driver problem and are used to installing Small Business Server on this machine. They have been working on this for a couple hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated... I tested installing a copy of Vista on the system and it worked, so I know the basic hardware is OK.

I didn't try to install the older WHS on the T110 so couldn't tell if it would have run into problem. I have lots of data on the drives now so it's not an option to try at this time even though I really want to have the Drive extender feature.

On the other hand, you can try installing WHS 2011? Whether you run into installation problem with WHS 2011 should give you some useful info.

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I did a separate post. The 2011 install worked perfectly on the T110 II.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:43 AM