Clear answer on 120-day trial version question. RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me if I can install the trial version on top of the RC1 version and not lose data?  I have seen it said on several blogs that if I install the trial version that I would lose all the data on the server.  But I have also seen it written that I would just lose client logins and whatever addins where installed.  Need come clarity on this.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:56 PM

Answers

• I've installed the 120 day evaluation version on a Virtual PC image that had been running RC1. Nothing was lost. I won't be installing it on a physical server with data on it, though I suppose I could, as I'm going to be building a demo server this week...
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:06 PM

All replies

•  Kanebrake wrote:
    Can someone tell me if I can install the trial version on top of the RC1 version and not lose data?  I have seen it said on several blogs that if I install the trial version that I would lose all the data on the server.  But I have also seen it written that I would just lose client logins and whatever addins where installed.  Need come clarity on this.

I haven't tried it, but logically you should be able to do a Server Reinstallation with it (since it is, in essence, still the same code as RTM except a timebomb added).

Sunday, November 4, 2007 6:08 PM
  • thanks ... that's what I thought but on a couple of blogs they mention that you will lose all your data.

Here's one:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/11/03/try-windows-home-server-for-120-days

Here is another:

http://bink.nu/news/try-windows-home-server-for-120-days.aspx

Sunday, November 4, 2007 6:44 PM
  • I've installed the 120 day evaluation version on a Virtual PC image that had been running RC1. Nothing was lost. I won't be installing it on a physical server with data on it, though I suppose I could, as I'm going to be building a demo server this week...
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:06 PM
  • thanks Ken ... that's what I needed to know.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:45 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I've installed the 120 day evaluation version on a Virtual PC image that had been running RC1. Nothing was lost. I won't be installing it on a physical server with data on it, though I suppose I could, as I'm going to be building a demo server this week...

Do you need to have the previous system drive installed for being able to do a server upgrade ? I installed the trial version a yesterday, with all my data drives in place, but a new empty drive for the system. I was *not* given the choice to upgrade, just a new installation. It wasn't that big of a deal because I kind of anticipated this (though it still sucked having to copy all the data off first), but if is this is indeed the case then I assume you'll also have to do a fresh install whenever the system drive fails ?

Dirk

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:35 PM
  •  dflachbart wrote:
    Do you need to have the previous system drive installed for being able to do a server upgrade ? I installed the trial version a yesterday, with all my data drives in place, but a new empty drive for the system. I was *not* given the choice to upgrade, just a new installation. It wasn't that big of a deal because I kind of anticipated this (though it still sucked having to copy all the data off first), but if is this is indeed the case then I assume you'll also have to do a fresh install whenever the system drive fails ?

Dirk

You should be able to select Server Reinstallation in your scenario.  What version of WHS was your original installation?  (Beta 2, CTP, RC1, RTM)

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:02 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

dflachbart wrote:

Dirk

You should be able to select Server Reinstallation in your scenario.  What version of WHS was your original installation?  (Beta 2, CTP, RC1, RTM)

I had RC1 installed (and yes, I started the installation by booting from the DVD as suggested).

Dirk

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Personally I think I would opt for a really fresh install (low level format of alls disks) when upgrading to final version. I 'm a little afraid that upgrade path will not cleanup all remnants of the RC1 install. However If I already have loads of data on it I would probably also choose the reinstall option for reason of convenience.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:15 PM
  •  dflachbart wrote:
    I had RC1 installed (and yes, I started the installation by booting from the DVD as suggested).

Dirk

The only thing I can think of then is it's not seeing your data drives when you boot from the DVD.  If I remember correctly, you should see the drives before you get to the New Installation/Server Reinstallation option.  Do all of your drives show up on that screen?

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

dflachbart wrote:

Dirk

The only thing I can think of then is it's not seeing your data drives when you boot from the DVD.  If I remember correctly, you should see the drives before you get to the New Installation/Server Reinstallation option.  Do all of your drives show up on that screen?

Yes, all three drives showed up in the previous screen. I had the following attached: an IDE drive (empty) for the OS, and two SATA drives that had the data from the previous RC1 installation on it. As I said, it wasn't a big deal as I was prepared (and the server is now up and running), I just wished it wouldn't be so unpredictable.

Dirk

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 11:51 PM