Custom Domain Name - WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just purchased the OEM version of WHS today.

I am currently using the "Trial" version in VirtualBox for testing purpose and I was wondering if it is possible to use a custom domain name such as example "myownwhs.org" instead of the *.homeserver.com

Thank you

Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:15 AM

Answers

• Yes, but you will have to configure it exactly the same way you would without Windows Home Server, i.e. you will need to retain a dynamic DNS service to maintain the actual domain name record, MX record (if needed), etc. in DNS, and will have to install their dynamic DNS client somewhere (presumably on your server, since it's always on). It's not possible to use the built-in DDNS client for that purpose; it is built specifically for maintenance of a homeserver.com vanity URL.

It's also technically unsupported, but unlikely to be harmful.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alexandre- Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:25 AM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:19 AM

All replies

• Yes, but you will have to configure it exactly the same way you would without Windows Home Server, i.e. you will need to retain a dynamic DNS service to maintain the actual domain name record, MX record (if needed), etc. in DNS, and will have to install their dynamic DNS client somewhere (presumably on your server, since it's always on). It's not possible to use the built-in DDNS client for that purpose; it is built specifically for maintenance of a homeserver.com vanity URL.

It's also technically unsupported, but unlikely to be harmful.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alexandre- Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:25 AM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Thank you for your help.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:25 AM