Key not Working No More RRS feed

• Question

• I have a little big problem. My validation key doens't work no more. My computer was running slow and I had a lot of problems with it. So, i restarted the pc with the boot disk in it and it began re-installing Windows XP. I did this already some more times and i never had a problem with it. But this time, when I wanted to register my windows product, it said that my validation key wasn't valable no more, and now can't do any updated because my windows is "illegal" (it is legal) en worst of al, it says I can only use it for 30 days.

What should I do? I never had problems with reinstalling XP and I cetrainly have a legal version of XP

Many thanks and excuse me for my bad English

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Kenny,

From your description, it appears you need to Activate you Windows. By default, if your Window is not activated, then it can't Validate as Genuine. I suggest using the "Activate by Phone" method.

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  
    3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.
    4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

If this does not correct your problem, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy , then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Kenny,

From your description, it appears you need to Activate you Windows. By default, if your Window is not activated, then it can't Validate as Genuine. I suggest using the "Activate by Phone" method.

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  
    3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.
    4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

If this does not correct your problem, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy , then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:05 PM
  • I've experienced similar problems as well recently. My machine always took my validation key ID up until recently and now it can't. Below is what was suggested.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key Hash: y+VjO8tDmCVnfipq5PIc2ASuV5Y=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2144802-74609
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom
    ID: 06a49a59-e1dc-4e98-983d-665be8274708
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Right now I can't buy the WGA Kit because the price is too high. What would be the next best thing to do.

And just for the record. I did call to get a replacement ID and the reps were hard to understand. Neither keys accepted.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Swarlock,

At the moment, there is no need yet to purchase anything.  Until your installation of XP Home is activated, the WGA system will not work on it.

The mgadiag report is showing that your installation of XP Home is a systembuilder/OEM license.  In order for this license to be valid, you should be in possession of:

1.  A genuine hologrammed MS OEM XP CDROM.

2.  A genuine thin user pamphlet with a green front/cover page.

3.  A genuine MS Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer's case.  The COA will have your valid Product Key printed on it.  The COA should have "XP Home Edition" and "OEM Software" printed on it in black lettering.

None of the above should have the name of a major, well-known computer manufacturer printed on it.

What do you mean by "neither keys accepted?"  Are you seeing a message along the lines of "product key invalid for this system?"  Or "Your copy of Windows has been activated too many times?"

Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:27 PM