Export and then reimport the updated data RRS feed

• Question

• I want to send some my Contacts to get updated using postal service updating software. 
    How would you recommend I export the data and then reimport the updated data?
    Thanks

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:37 PM

Answers

• mardukes -

Sorry I do not have the pricing details of the USPS standardization. I used it a few years ago and it worked out very well for our client and fit their budget but I do not know what the csot structure was.

Later
       Hoss
    • Marked as answer by Matthews_416 Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:11 PM

All replies

• Well it depends on how manual or automatic you want the process to be.  Is this something you want to do once or just every so often so a manual process will be fine or is this an ongoing process you want to happen automatically.

If you are fine with a manual process of exporting to Excel and then using a tool to import the changes back in check out the CRM Team Blog about the CRM Data Import Tool. http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/25/data-manipulation-tool.aspx
    with the code for the tool available at http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=MSCRMimport

If you want something more automated or if you want something with less code writing you have a few options.

Less Code writing use a third Party tool like Scribe or c360 Import Manager.

For fully automated if you have the dev skills you can either build your own process or with each save of a contact call the USPS services to fix the address and then store the updated address. 

depending on what you need will determine which route to go. 

If you think this will only be an every so often thing or maybe once a month I would start with the CRM Team Blog info and see if that works for you.  It is free except the time you have to spend putting the code in and it works for simple updates.

Hope that helps
       -Hoss
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:14 PM
  • You might also want to check third party that offers data cleansing such as Pitney Bowes or even Exact Target.

Anne
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Hoss,

I'm looking at AMS API information but it is lacking in divulging the price.  What's the cost structure of USPS standardizations as you describe?

Is their matching any good?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:35 PM
  • mardukes -

Sorry I do not have the pricing details of the USPS standardization. I used it a few years ago and it worked out very well for our client and fit their budget but I do not know what the csot structure was.

Later
       Hoss
    • Marked as answer by Matthews_416 Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:11 PM