What is the purpose of access levels on the "Create" privilege on Roles? RRS feed

• Question

• I understand the value in having different access levels for all other privileges, but I don't see the value in having different access levels for the Create. For example, in the context of the "Read" privilege it makes sense that a users would want to restrict who could view the record, based on their buisness unit, but when a user is creating a record, they automatically have access to it.

The only explanation that I can surmize is that this restricts the user from reassiging the record to other Users outside of the security model during creation.

Any direction on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• It's very much for the completeness of the security model, rather than the practical use.

Technically you can create a record on behalf of someone else by specifying the owner in the Create form. If you do so, the create privilege will take effect. It's a different action from creating a record for yourself and then re-assigning to someone else.

As you have said, it's not so practically very useful. But I think it does represent a perspective of CRM security model implementation.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies

• It's very much for the completeness of the security model, rather than the practical use.

Technically you can create a record on behalf of someone else by specifying the owner in the Create form. If you do so, the create privilege will take effect. It's a different action from creating a record for yourself and then re-assigning to someone else.

As you have said, it's not so practically very useful. But I think it does represent a perspective of CRM security model implementation.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Perfect. Thanks!
    JC
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:02 PM