Need Microsoft Certification Advice RRS feed

• Question

• I have been programming database oriented business solutions in Visual Basic 6.0 for the past 10 years.
    I have experience in MS Access, SQL server, and VBA. I never migrated to .NET because the applications
    I was providing support for were written in VB 6 and my one client had no interest in spending money to
    convert them to .NET.

In an effort to pick up new work and more clients, and bring my skill set up to date, I was thinking it would be a good

idea to get a Microsoft Certification. They used to offer an MS SQL Server DBA cert where you needed to
    demonstrate profficiency in SQL Server, and either a programming language, or an operating system.
    I thought this would be a good way to get up to speed in VB.Net, and improve my SQL Server skills
    at the same time.

It seems however that Microsoft has changed its certifications, because I don't see anything like
    this being offered anymore. The SQL Server certifications I have looked at are strictly database oriented.

As a result, I'm not sure how to proceed.
    Does Microsoft still offer any such certification or
    does anyone have any other ideas as to what would be the best way to proceed?

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• From what I've seen, Microsoft has gone in the direction of offering separate certification for database administration and development.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

The MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 deals with only the administrative aspects (focusing on installation, performance, security, compliance, and disaster recovery) while the MCITP: Database Developer 2008 seems to focus more on SQL development for someone who is mainly developing data access layer type stored procedures and queries. If you are looking for something on the VB.Net end, I would consider the MCPD: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-536&locale=en-us, particularly the TS exam that deals with ADO.Net. Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 4, 2010 5:09 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:20 AM