Microsoft Office. RRS feed

• Question

• i recently bought a new laptop and it came with a preinstalled trial version of microsoft office. i was wondering whether i am able to simply purchase the product key or if i have to buy a complete version of the software?
    Monday, August 23, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• "H.R PufnStuf" wrote in message news:60f846e8-30e5-4a0d-9451-3943fb1fb3a0...
    i recently bought a new laptop and it came with a preinstalled trial version of microsoft office. i was wondering whether i am able to simply purchase the product key or if i have to buy a complete version of the software?

You can purchase the Key - depending on the version of Office that you have already pre-installed, you may be able to purchase a Key for any Office edition.

With Office 2007 pre-installs, you can only use a key for the same version of Office as is Pre-installed - if you want any other version, then you have to remove the pre-installed one first, and then install the new one. Unfortunately, I believe that MS no longer sells such Keys direct, so you'd have to go to a reputable store to buy one.

With Office 2010 Starter pre-installed, then you can do effectively an in-place upgrade using your new Key.

You can also, obviously, buy an Office 2010 installation pack, and install that (after uninstalling the trial Office).

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:55 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:01 AM