Cancelling OneCare (How?!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been through all the OneCare websites in the attempt to cancel my auto-renewing service. It's up for renewal on 27-Jan-09. However, the 1-800 number that the website displays does work, and just puts me on perpetual hold after selecting "CANCEL ACCOUNT". I've called it several times this morning without any success, and even left a message for mailbox 2154 after waiting the full length of time.

Is there ANY WAY to cancel this service at all? I'm tempted to just change my billing information and let them try to charge me.

Good grief.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hello LP212, it is unfortunate that cancellation is so difficult. I can only suggest calling early in the day or late in the evening when traffic may be lighter.
    Jim
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hello LP212, it is unfortunate that cancellation is so difficult. I can only suggest calling early in the day or late in the evening when traffic may be lighter.
    Jim
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:02 PM
  •  Following lots of reports about the voice mail issue for canceling OneCare, I've asked Microsoft to look into this as the process is already too difficult in that you need to contact customer service to cancel. You should not be dumped into voice mail after a lengthy wait, in my opinion.

If you are in the North America, this number may work for you. Note that this number is *not* for support, it is only for cancellation of a subscription to OneCare:

1-866-672-4551

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Next, I'm hoping you can help. I'm in Sweden at the moment, and caught in an awful customer 
    experience with trying to cancel my OneCare subsciption from automatically renewing on January 17.
    It's for a laptop I no longer have or use. Basically, the web support path assumes you:
    a.) know your OneCare product number, and/or b.) your're working on the computer with it
    so the system can automatically detect it and/or c.) that there process of Windows Live ID
    sign-in will correctly match you with your account. None held true in my case, and the
    1-866 number is not working outside the U.S.

Is there a general support / escalation email address I can send this to? Please advise!

Sincerely,
    Kate

FYI: Issues I experienced with trying to cancel my account
    (perhaps of interest to the webteam there)

1. The email customers receive from you directs them to a Billing webpage. However,
    your OneCare account isn't listed as one of "Your Services" on this page. The
    customer must intuit to look at Related Links in the left navigation,
    and then click on "How to cancel my account." . This will then pop
    up a sidebar window where they can scroll through a list of Customer
    Support options, one of which is OneCare. Only then, will he/she be directed to
    the proper page. This is not obvious or intuitive. It makes a
    customer think they don't have OneCare as a service. Why not link
    them directly to a OneCare page?

2. Once on the OneCare page, it says that customers can get support via
    email, phone, or live chat (only US and Canada). I'm a US customer
    currently in Sweden, so I cannot use the phone or live chat options.
    And there is no email address listed. Instead, I click on "Contact
    Support" at the bottom of the page and then it puts me through a series
    of steps to submit a request, First, I click on Billing Support.
    When it fails to detect my account info (probably since I am on a new
    laptop that doesn't have OneCare on it), it asks me to put in my
    Windows Live ID that I used when I purchased. Though I use the same hotmail account,
    it does not work. It says it is incorrect. Note: I read some of your other
    posts and though I also tried to submit as if I was a Beta customer, I
    experienced the same dead-end over Windows Live validations. Since I no longer
    have the laptop with OneCare on it, I don't know the product key #. I am stuck.

I realize you work hard to make your customer experiences a positive
    one. But right now, there are some significant glitches in the current process.
    You need to include a path to catch customers when there are breakdowns in the process
    design regarding assumptions of what info customers have at their disposal and/or
    how your validation processes will work. Perhaps a "If Windows Live validation doesn't
    work, click here."

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

Following lots of reports about the voice mail issue for canceling OneCare, I've asked Microsoft to look into this as the process is already too difficult in that you need to contact customer service to cancel. You should not be dumped into voice mail after a lengthy wait, in my opinion.

If you are in the North America, this number may work for you. Note that this number is *not* for support, it is only for cancellation of a subscription to OneCare:

1-866-672-4551

-steve

Well, that worked for me, eventually :)

I was transferred 4 times to different departments, but eventually was put into contact with a real live person, and not a voice mailbox, who was able to get my subscription cancelled.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:53 PM
  • I am not in North America - I am in Sweden, so I cannot use the phone number. I tried several times.

Is there an email address where I can send this? Or, if you cannot broadly communicate a support email address,  is there a way you can send this issue to them?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:02 PM
  • The issue has been resolved and my subscription has been cancelled. Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:11 PM
  • For those of you struggling to get phone numbers [deleted]
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:16 PM
  • KokoBaby said:

For those of you struggling to get phone numbers [deleted]

I appreciate your efforts to help, and agree that the process for reaching support is a pain, these forums are hosted by Microsoft who have requested that the support numbers not be posted. The reason for validation is that trial users are not entitled to telephone support, only paid subscribers.
    I have deleted your posts and will have to continue to do so as I find them.

You will see throughout the forum that both Jim and I offer people to email us and we will then direct them to support for their locale. We would prefer that people first try the official path and only when they are unable to proceed, to email us.

-steve
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Kate.se said:

I am not in North America - I am in Sweden, so I cannot use the phone number. I tried several times.

Is there an email address where I can send this? Or, if you cannot broadly communicate a support email address,  is there a way you can send this issue to them?

Thanks!

I'm sorry that you encountered such difficulty in canceling your subscription. You were in an unusual predicament in that OneCare is not sold or supported in Sweden. However, following the support FAQ and initiating an email support case as a trial user would have gotten you to support and *should* have initiated the process to get your subscription canceled.
    Yes, the process stinks and I wish that there were an easy way to do this online from the Billing site after validation, but there isn't. :-(

-steve
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Kate.se said:

The issue has been resolved and my subscription has been cancelled. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, how did you finally cancel?
    -steve
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:22 PM