Do the subsiption's 365 days add up to the remaining beta/trial subscription days? RRS feed

• Question

• I am participating in Windows Live OneCare 2.5 beta program @ Microsoft Connect. I still have 214 days of the beta subscription left. I like the product so I bought a retail box in advance. The question is, if I activate my subscription right now, will the 365 days (1 year) of it add up to the remaining 214 days? Or, will they just "overwrite" the remaining beta days?

Besides, I also have a second computer @ home which currently is not protected by the OneCare solution. If I activate this laptop with the 1-year subscription, and then activate the desktop PC let's say, a month later, will the 2nd PC's subscription end date be the same as the date for the 1st PC, or will it end a month after the 1st PC's subscription ends (assuming that I use the same subscription with the same Windows Live ID)?

Sincerely yours,

Bogdan Zyryanov.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:50 PM

Answers

• The One Care beta and its subscription are totally separate from the retail version. You cannot "piggyback" a retail subscription on to a beta subscription. You may be able to add the second computer to the beta subscription. When you activate the retail subscription, the term is one year from the date the subscription is activated. The term of the subscription is not dependent on the number of computers activated or when they are added to the subscription. If you do activate the retail subscription create a new Live ID, do not use the Live ID used for the beta.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:12 PM
  • To expand on Jim's correct answer -

The beta environment is a totally different back end environment from the production environment. At the end of the beta (which will be later this year) you will be required to remove the beta software as it will expire and no longer update when they shut down the beta back end following completion of testing.

At that time you can install the production version of the 2.5 software and use your retail product key to activate the subscription. So, my advice to you is to hold onto the retail package, install the beta onto your second PC and at the end of the beta, when 2.5 has been made available for download at http://onecare.live.com, install the production code via the download and use it in trial mode until you choose to subscribe using your retail key. The retail subscription will last for 12 months from initial activation, so waiting until after the beta ends and after the trial install begins to nag you, then activate with the key and a LiveID to maximize the length of time before you need to renew.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:28 PM

All replies

• The One Care beta and its subscription are totally separate from the retail version. You cannot "piggyback" a retail subscription on to a beta subscription. You may be able to add the second computer to the beta subscription. When you activate the retail subscription, the term is one year from the date the subscription is activated. The term of the subscription is not dependent on the number of computers activated or when they are added to the subscription. If you do activate the retail subscription create a new Live ID, do not use the Live ID used for the beta.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:12 PM
  • To expand on Jim's correct answer -

The beta environment is a totally different back end environment from the production environment. At the end of the beta (which will be later this year) you will be required to remove the beta software as it will expire and no longer update when they shut down the beta back end following completion of testing.

At that time you can install the production version of the 2.5 software and use your retail product key to activate the subscription. So, my advice to you is to hold onto the retail package, install the beta onto your second PC and at the end of the beta, when 2.5 has been made available for download at http://onecare.live.com, install the production code via the download and use it in trial mode until you choose to subscribe using your retail key. The retail subscription will last for 12 months from initial activation, so waiting until after the beta ends and after the trial install begins to nag you, then activate with the key and a LiveID to maximize the length of time before you need to renew.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:28 PM