Meaning of upload progress indicators? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been playing with Live Mesh for a few days now and I think it's a great, but I'm having trouble with a lack of documentation. If there is some detailed documentation on usage, point me to it. Otherwise please bear with me while I post a few messages about things I haven't exactly figured out.

My first question has to do with the uploading status display. There doesn't appear to be a way to paste images into this post so I'll have to describe it. I'm looking at the "Syncronized Devices" section of the toolbar that is attached to the right of a LiveFolder. I copy a large (100MB) file to the folder and after a bit, an animation and progress bar appear next to the device I'm on. The animation is an arrow moving up and the progress bar indicates (I assume) the amount of data from the file that has been transferred.

My question is what exactly is that referrring to? Is that the status of data being moved to the Live Desktop? Is it the status of data being moved to all devices? If a device isn't turned on, either that progress bar can't progress at all or the progress bar only represents the Live Desktop. If that's the case, how do I tell the status of the file being transferred to the device? In other words, from my laptop how do I see if the file has been fully transferred to my desktop machine (or any other device in my mesh)?

If I'm logged into the Live Desktop while this file is being uploaded, I can see the file listed in the folder. If I try to download it, the system tells me it hasn't been fully uploaded yet. Is there any indication of that short of trying to use the file? I don't see any status indicators or a way to add a status column to the detail view.

How about on other devices? Will the file only be visible in the folder after it's been fully uploaded or does it appear immediately but locked until the upload completes? Is there any way to see the progress of downloads? (All my devices are on the same local network so the peer-to-peer transfers take place very quickly and I'm not sure how to easily test this.)

Thanks!
    SBussinger
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:12 PM

Answers

• Ask away. :-)

The Live Mesh team has said that they plan to improve the visual status indicator as it is kind of lacking at this point, as you have noticed.

I believe that the indicator of % complete on the source PC is for uploading to the Live Desktop. If you are not synchronizing with the Live Desktop, it should represent the status of the transfer to a peer device. However, it gets complicated if it is uploading to multiple peers. I can't tell you what the display will indicate in this case, other than to say it probably is inaccurate.

In my experience, the other devices will show a placeholder file or "shadow" until the file has completely arrived via download. The Live Desktop will display a file that is not completely uploaded as a placeholder, too. The file icon has a sync indicator overlay on it.

I just tested a sync over a slow connection and I can't see any indication of download progress for a specific file, except that the Live Mesh icon in the tray is blinking while the file is transferring.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 20, 2009 6:07 PM