cannot connect clients to whs vail RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

after typing the password for the server in connector i get an error message, that the client could not connect to the server. at first it said, that i should check date and time, i did that and nothing changed. now, i get the error message that an uexpected error occured.

i really need some help for this.

many thanks in advance,

dominic

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:21 AM question regarding Vail beta (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    • Edited by domp_27 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:13 AM
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:39 AM

Answers

• Solved!!! installing vail for the third time solved the problem...

I had the same problem. I have tried "Vail on two hardware platforms. On the first no problem. On the second, I had the problem with no drives or shared folders shown in the dashboard, even though they were all present and correct in Explorer. It was also not possible to create user accounts because the wizzard asks which shares the user should have access to and, since no shares are visible to Vail... I logged this bug on Connect, with the logs. At least two other people have seen the same bug.

After a complete re-install, the shares and hard drives were shown but they went again after a reboot due to updates. One further complete re-install and they are shown, have survived reboots and I have user accounts set up. It seem sto me there is some marginal aspect to the install routine but hey, it's Beta software.....

A couple of comments on Vail. Functionality is not really different from WHS and, due to the lack of add ins as yet, in some ways it's inferior. The engine here is much better however. On literally THE SAME hardware as WHS, Vail supports file transfer speeds that are twice as fast as WHS and that's a great benefit when dealing with big volumes of photos and videos. It's also clear, and no surprises for this one given he pedigree (Server 2008 R2) that Vail will offer most when used with Windows 7 clients through Homegroup for example.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• hi everyone,

after typing the password for the server in connector i get an error message, that the client could not connect to the server. at first it said, that i should check date and time, i did that and nothing changed. now, i get the error message that an uexpected error occured.

i really need some help for this.

many thanks in advance,

dominic

Did you set the time zone in the BIOS to PST as instructed in the release notes?
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:27 AM
  • i will try this out now, ill inform you, if it worked.

thx

Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:57 AM
  • i dont have the option to change the time zone im my bios, but thanks anyways
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:02 AM
  • i dont have the option to change the time zone im my bios, but thanks anyways
    In that case, you might have to wait up to 1 full day (24 hours).  If it still doesn't work after 24 hours, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Please check the regional settings on the client your trying to connect?
    Of not so, try settinsg it to English-US as non-english regional settings are not supported for this version of VAIL.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:53 PM
  • In that case, you might have to wait up to 1 full day (24 hours).  If it still doesn't work after 24 hours, you should file a bug report on Connect.

didnt have the time to try this yet, but i will give it a shot. thanks.

Please check the regional settings on the client your trying to connect?
    Of not so, try settinsg it to English-US as non-english regional settings are not supported for this version of VAIL.

- Theo.

i tried that out, but unfortunately it didnt help. after i enter the password, it seems like its freezing for a few seconds, but then i get the error message about an unexpected error...

Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Solved!!! installing vail for the third time solved the problem...

I had the same problem. I have tried "Vail on two hardware platforms. On the first no problem. On the second, I had the problem with no drives or shared folders shown in the dashboard, even though they were all present and correct in Explorer. It was also not possible to create user accounts because the wizzard asks which shares the user should have access to and, since no shares are visible to Vail... I logged this bug on Connect, with the logs. At least two other people have seen the same bug.

After a complete re-install, the shares and hard drives were shown but they went again after a reboot due to updates. One further complete re-install and they are shown, have survived reboots and I have user accounts set up. It seem sto me there is some marginal aspect to the install routine but hey, it's Beta software.....

A couple of comments on Vail. Functionality is not really different from WHS and, due to the lack of add ins as yet, in some ways it's inferior. The engine here is much better however. On literally THE SAME hardware as WHS, Vail supports file transfer speeds that are twice as fast as WHS and that's a great benefit when dealing with big volumes of photos and videos. It's also clear, and no surprises for this one given he pedigree (Server 2008 R2) that Vail will offer most when used with Windows 7 clients through Homegroup for example.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:30 AM
  • I've installed VAIL 3 times as well.  What a pain this version is.  It's been 22hrs and I still can't connect my clients to the server via connector software.  It doesn't give the time/date error any more.  Just a general cannot connect.

Installed my storage card driver twice and twice it wiped out the o.s.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:18 PM