will my server benefit from a faster cpu? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

I have an opportunity to either upgrade my server from a 4200 x2 CPU to a intel Q6600, or to give my wife a new Q6600 based PC.  Will I see any real improvement in my server performance if I give the new CPU to the WHS?  I use my server principally to store files, backup my PCs and to stream HD/ripped blu-rays to my various media center PCs.  I also use it to run Sugarsync (online backup), giganews/newsleecher/winrar, my movies and occasionally utorrent.  Winrar can be a bit slow at times when it's a big file, so I could see an improvement there, but will I see any improvement in data transfer/streaming?

Thanks

Streggi
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Monday, December 28, 2009 1:33 AM not a technical question
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

• In my opinion, the 4200 is perfectly adequate.  I'm using a 3800x2 with 6 1.5TB hard drives and 2 GB memory.  I have found that with multiple data transfer/streaming, the bottleneck has been hard drive related, not CPU.  I have a gigabit LAN with a 100 Mbps up/down fiber connection which pushes data transfers to the limit.

Make your wife happy, give her the 6600!

--

"Streggi" <=?utf-8?B?U3RyZWdnaQ==?=> wrote in message news:610cdc88-6209-4e3 a-a421-eb9e532148db...
    Hi

I have an opportunity to either upgrade my server from a 4200 x2 CPU to a intel Q6600, or to give my wife a new Q6600 based PC.  Will I see any real improvement in my server performance if I give the new CPU to the WHS?  I use my server principally to store files, backup my PCs and to stream HD/ripped blu-rays to my various media center PCs.  I also use it to run Sugarsync (online backup), giganews/newsleecher/winrar, my movies and occasionally utorrent.  Winrar can be a bit slow at times when it's a big file, so I could see an improvement there, but will I see any improvement in data transfer/streaming?

Thanks

Streggi

BullDawg
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Give your wife the 6600, you dont really need it its like overkill. People have been streming with less speed cpus without a problem I have a 4050e X2 and its a dream, I have had streaming perfectly on a sempron processor and a Skt 478 Celeron. So yeah the 4200 is adaquet as BullDawg said.

HMG
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:07 PM
  • thanks for the replies - I thought so.  I've going to give her my old PC - just built myself an amazing i7 920 overclocked (4Ghz!) rig
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:12 AM