Is this pop actually from MicroSoft? "this enter the characters you see or hear. this helps us prevent automated programs from sending spam." RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have started receiving a pop with the text "this enter the characters you see or hear. this helps us prevent automated programs from sending spam.". Does any know if this something from Microsoft? 

I am doing nothing to request it.  I have not entered the characters in fear of activating some attack on my system.

• Edited by maw60 Friday, March 26, 2010 12:02 PM correct content
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, March 26, 2010 2:28 PM off topic (From:Windows Live OneCare Anti-Spyware)
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:01 PM

All replies

• If you are getting that when you are sending an email via Hotmail, then I believe that it is.

If you are getting it from elsewhere, then I have no idea. You'll need to provide more details about when you are getting it - that is what action are you performing, using what program, etc.

Note also that if you are not discussing Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum.

Windows Live discussions and help - http://windowslivehelp.com

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:15 PM
  • I think I am off topic, I am using Windows Live Mail.

Friday, March 26, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Okay. You'll find Windows Live Mail at the link I posted in the last reply. If you are getting this pop when sending mail via Hotmail, I suspect it means you have a new Hotmail account that has some restrictions on it to help prevent spam sending. Try sending from www.hotmail.com to see if you are also prompted with the CAPTCHA verification.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hi, I too just got this popup from WLM.

What exactly was I doing? Let's see... I just sent an email, and returned to my inbox when the popup appeared. First time ever. I don't really get how this is a front-end benefit. Plus I have not explicitly asked for this sort of security feature, or read it would be auotmatically implemented. I last sent email from this app two days ago (Mar 27th). Is this a "congratulations you've send 20 emails to this email ID. We wnat to ensure you're not spamming without your knowledge or consent." Anyway. Just now I thought perhaps it's a valid feature as my Firewall didn't popup with any modified WLM attempting to access, which could be verywell naive of me. Now, I wonder if the email I sent actually went through. (i'll go check via hotmail on the web).

---

[Mail - Windows Live]

Please enter the characters you see or hear.

This helps us prevent automated programs from sending spam.

The picture contains 8 characters.

Characters: ______________________

[OK] [Cancel]

---

Rick

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:11 PM
  • an update:

Checking Hotmail.com my email was not sent.

Returning to WLM, I cancel the popup and press Sync on the toolbar. A WLM popup appears, reads:

"

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (rick_c) account. For security reasons, this e-mail account has been temporarily deactivated. A picture containing letters and numbers will appear when you close this window. To reactivate your account, enter the characters you see in the picture.

Subject 'Re: too high; getting there; just area; follow-up; again; fax; scan; six'
    Server Error: 3207
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8DE00006

"

I then completed another already-there CAPTCHA, and sync went smoot. Email was sent. Perhaps a new ISP feature? Interesting WLM control...

Resuming normal operation :)

RIck

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I started receiving that message whenever I opened Livemail or when auto-sync was kicking in. I finally tracked it down to an email sitting in my inbox. I deletd it quickily so cannot recall all of it. But it had something to do with an acknowledgement to be sent to someone named geroge something or other, and had BMW in the subject/text. Totally deleted it & no more popups!! So don't know if that was a virus or trojan trying to get on board, or just Windows protecting me everytime it hit that outgoing message. Either way -- hopefully your systems will clear up once you double delete that message from your own systems.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:45 PM