Two Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe this has already been discussed but I did not find it, sorry if it has.

Currently running two servers, they both have seperate clients connected to them, both with PP1, I have one set up with 3 clients and the other with just one client and it is a EVAL Package. I can remote desktop into which ever one I would like from whatever client and back ups wake all of them up and back them all up according to their client /server relationship. The problem I am having is with remote access, I can't seem to get them both working with seperate windows live custom domains the IP address is duplicated. I would think if you purchase two WHS you should be able to have two windows live domains, or am I missing somthing. Maybe I should have read the fine print, any answer are appreciated. Both boxes are home built the router is a Linksys wrt54gl with all appropriate ports forwarded.

Mark G.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:08 AM

Answers

• The problem:
    Even if you do set up two Live custom domains (and, there's no reason I can think of that you can't), with both servers in the same house, and on the same internet connection, both domains are going to point at the same internet IP address.
    Therefore, it doesn't matter if you type <name1>/homeserver.com or <name2>/homeserver.com into a browser - both names will point to 123.456.789.12 (example only.)

Workaround #1 (expensive, and a PITA to implement if you want all of the machines to still be able to talk to each other):  a second internet connection. 
    Workaround #2:  if your router supports it (what revision number, and firmware version, on that 'GL?  IIRC, they all can do this...), set up port-remapping for the forwarding to the second WHS.  With this, you'll re-map ports 80, 443, and 4125 to other incoming port numbers (say, 81, 441, and 4126) to 80, 443, and 4125, repectively, to forward to WHS #2.
    Downsides:  you'll need to enter the proper port numbers in your browser (example:  https://<name>/homeserver.com:441 , instead of http://<name>/homeserver.com , the automatic redirect to SSL won't work (you'll need to enter it as above), and remote access won't work.  IIS on WHS is hard-coded to use 4125 for remote access, and, IIRC, changing that in IIS will also break the Connector on the clients.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:44 AM

All replies

• The problem:
    Even if you do set up two Live custom domains (and, there's no reason I can think of that you can't), with both servers in the same house, and on the same internet connection, both domains are going to point at the same internet IP address.
    Therefore, it doesn't matter if you type <name1>/homeserver.com or <name2>/homeserver.com into a browser - both names will point to 123.456.789.12 (example only.)

Workaround #1 (expensive, and a PITA to implement if you want all of the machines to still be able to talk to each other):  a second internet connection. 
    Workaround #2:  if your router supports it (what revision number, and firmware version, on that 'GL?  IIRC, they all can do this...), set up port-remapping for the forwarding to the second WHS.  With this, you'll re-map ports 80, 443, and 4125 to other incoming port numbers (say, 81, 441, and 4126) to 80, 443, and 4125, repectively, to forward to WHS #2.
    Downsides:  you'll need to enter the proper port numbers in your browser (example:  https://<name>/homeserver.com:441 , instead of http://<name>/homeserver.com , the automatic redirect to SSL won't work (you'll need to enter it as above), and remote access won't work.  IIS on WHS is hard-coded to use 4125 for remote access, and, IIRC, changing that in IIS will also break the Connector on the clients.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Thanks for the responce, I guess I will have to keep the second server's remote access turned off . I might try the second workaround but that kinda sounds like a pita too. I would most likely nee a firmware upgrade, but if that is the case I would probebly use tomato or ddwrt....In any event thanks for the input.

Mark G.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:45 AM
  • This would be a situation, in which for the second machine opening/forwarding port 3389 and using Remote Desktop would fit better than other workarounds, as long as you are the only user. You could use the same domain to reach it, which is registered by the first server.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Olaf,

Let me understand the steps, on the server open 3389, change the scope to internet any computer, on the router side forwared the servers IP to 3389 along with the usual 80 443 4125? If this was done I wonder if all the clients would show up in the remote computers tab and what about security? Thnx.

Mark G.

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Hi Mark,

stupid forum software, just lost all the text, as I clicked on post, because it requested me to login and did not preserve, what I wrote.

So now the short version.

If your router supports port forwarding with different ports, you can make the incoming port different than port 3389 and forward it to port 3389 on your WHS. This, together with a strong Admin password, would help to improve the security.

For getting the clients of the second server visble the Remote computers tab, use the Remotedsktop session on the first WHS.

Open IE there and call the second server with his NetBIOS name (i.e. https://server). This should give you access after a certificate warning, at least I assume it would work.

Or eventually you could use the Remotedesktops console in Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools and add all desktops with the appropriate OS, which you need to access remotely, to it.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  

How familiar are you with linux OS? If you have an old box lying around, which I am sure you do. You can download this distro "smererver 7x" from http://www.smeserver.org. This server will allow you to manage multiple domain on a single machine, with little or no problem...assuming you properly configured the domain and host for each WHS on your network.

This will have to be connected directly to the open net and not be behind a router, as the box itself can perform all the jobs of a router/firewall.

Or you can use setup option 2 with the smeserver distro. Leave the router connected directly to your WAN, and conect the smeserver to your linksys router using DHCP.

Use the internal network of your smeserver to conect an unmanaged switch, or another upnp router, then connect WHS1 to the router facing the WAN, and connect WHS2 to the switch or router connected to your smeserver.

The smeserver can then host both your windows live domain and forward it to the appropriate WHS server to resolve.

Good luck

Hugh

Not without anguish!

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Thank you everyone for your imput, I will possibly take parts from each of the suggestions and see if I can make a go of it. I built the second server as a test server for all the different ad ins and such, that way I would not have to muck up the supermicro machine server 1. If I get things to go the way I want I will post. I hope I do before the eval runs out, because if I don't there is no reason to PURCHASE IT. Thx.

Mark G.

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:02 PM