retail xp home RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a copy of retail xp home sp2 recently to use on this used pc I bought.unfortunatly the used pc has a failing motherboard.I didnt find this out until I went through several trials and errors,new hard drive,ram etc.Ive used my copy of xp I want to say 3 times on this pc in a short period trying to get this it up and running,only to find out the motherboard is failing.my question is,when this pc does finally die,which I feel will be very soon,will I be able to use this copy of xp on a pc I intend on buying from newegg?newegg sells pc's with no os.or I may also go the other route and build one myself.either route I go,I just need to know if Ill be able to use this copy,I spent $200 for it and would hope that I can use it.
    thank you in advance,
    timothy
    • Changed type Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 8:13 PM changed to a question
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:10 PM

Answers

• Timothyperdue,

A full retail license (and if you paid about $200 it is a full retail license) for XP Home can be moved from one computer to another, and is not tied to any particular hardware.

If you had purchased an OEM license instead of the retail license, it would now be stuck on the used PC and you'd have to get a new license for any new computer you acquired or built.

So, yes, you can legitimately install your full retail license for XP on a computer that you bought from newegg, or on a computer built with a new motherboard you bought from newegg.  The only proviso is that you have to uninstall the previous installation (the used PC that has been giving you trouble) so that there are not two simultaneous installations of the same license.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Edited by Dan at IT Associates Monday, August 18, 2008 4:38 PM spelling and added clarification
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 8:13 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:36 PM

All replies

• Timothyperdue,

A full retail license (and if you paid about $200 it is a full retail license) for XP Home can be moved from one computer to another, and is not tied to any particular hardware.

If you had purchased an OEM license instead of the retail license, it would now be stuck on the used PC and you'd have to get a new license for any new computer you acquired or built.

So, yes, you can legitimately install your full retail license for XP on a computer that you bought from newegg, or on a computer built with a new motherboard you bought from newegg.  The only proviso is that you have to uninstall the previous installation (the used PC that has been giving you trouble) so that there are not two simultaneous installations of the same license.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Edited by Dan at IT Associates Monday, August 18, 2008 4:38 PM spelling and added clarification
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 8:13 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:36 PM
  • thank you very much for your reply...

• Edited by timothyperdue Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:13 AM removed image
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:13 AM