Trying to restore a Win XP pc into VMWARE and no NIC is recognized RRS feed

• Question

• I just formatted my XP box to install Win 7 and realized that I needed the ser# for my QB's.  So I figured I would restore my XP pc into vmware desktop.  I created the virtual image with a NIC and then had it boot into the pc restore cd.  It gets thru the setup and then stops because it doesn't recognize the virtual NIC.  So I am stuck trying to restore my XP machine.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the pc restore disk to see the virtual nic in the latestes version of vmware desktop?

Thanks

John

Friday, August 14, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

• You can try installing XP or Vista into a VMWare machine, then back it up to your server, then use the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder in that backup as the source for drivers for the backup taht you actually want to perform.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:03 PM
  • I just don't have VMWare on the running machine, but it may be possible to mount the disk with the VMWare extensions into a virtual machine and copy/extract the drivers directly from there.
    Optionally out of the installed OS. It works, since I did it in the past, but its to long ago to remember the details.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:22 PM