none
Script warning from FireFox RRS feed

• Question

• I got an interesting new diagnostic from FireFox while I had a tab open on the C++ Express forum:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://i3.social.microsoft.com/Forums/resources/scripts/jquery-1.2.6.js:1702

Clicking "Continue" just brought the warning back.  "Stop" stopped it.  Opted out of "Debug".
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm geting it too. I told it to stop, and then reload the page manually.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:21 PM
  • This seems to happen after mark all as read is clicked. Without choosing options, i'm not really seeing the timeout.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I just got it on My Threads page, it doesn't have a Mark All Read.  I'm seeing this pretty frequently, ~twice a day.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:59 AM
  • I'm seeing it much more than twice a day.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 1:03 PM
  • This happens to me in IE7 also after I mark all read, and then use the Unread filter.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:21 PM
  • While the error message is about the come up, my system locks up.

Well, my browser locks up. Although, i think sometimes (but not all the time) it slows down the rest of the OS too.
    • Edited by Brian Tkatch Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:26 PM added clarififcation
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:33 PM
  • It only seems to lock up when a new message arrives.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Is there a chance this issue will be addressed?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:00 PM
  • To reproduce this warning happens when the first message arrives in a message list. To get a first message, use the unread filter and then "Mark All Read"  or manually click on each message. Then, post a message to that forum.

This is a bug in FF 3, and IE6. In IE6 the message is "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive.

So you want to abort this script.
    [Yes] [No]"

It's not so bad. As this way the entire browser locks up when a new message arrives. It's a neat form of message notification. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed steps. I'll try this out and see what can be done to fix it for the next release.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Thanx for the reply!
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:34 PM
  • This is still a daily annoyance.  The earlier diagnostic is accurate, it happens on forum view pages that have no threads showing with the Unread filter turned on.  This is common because of the way I browse the forums (FireFox "open in all tabs" option).

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:16 AM
  • I just mark each thread read and always leave one unread. It's time consuming, but it works.

Although, every now and then i mess up and have to restart this. If only there was a "Mark as unread" option. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Any news on this one?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Hi All,

Yes, we've seen this issue internally and already have a bug on this. I will discuss this with the team.
    Forums Test Lead
    Friday, November 6, 2009 6:59 PM
  • Thank you Don. This will be very helpful to me.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Any news?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:23 PM
  • I/we found this issue related to a thread that has hundreds or replies to it. What happens is that if your in a Forum View (list of threads) and one of those threads (with hundreds of replies) get's updated, the page throws this script error. It's related to a specific thread with hundreds of replies.

What forum specific is throwing this script error? You'll get this error too mostly likely if you have that thread in your "My Threads Page" or "My Forums Threads"

Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:25 AM
  • I found it on the Transact-SQL forum.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:59 PM
  • Let me take a look at this. I/we may need to lock that long thread. I/we also need to contact the Forum owner for this.

TY
    Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I'm not sure what this has to do with a thread. This has to do with the list of threads in the forum.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Last we found that this issue is related to the auto-update feature on the Forum view (list of threads), if a thread is too long that the auto-update feature (javascript running behind) executes and causes the script error.

I haven't looked at this particular Forum to repro but I'll look into this and possibly file a bug.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Don, i believe this works in any forum. Just create a new forum on a test server, filter to unread (which will show nothing), then add a thread from another user.

I just tested it myself.

1) I went to XML in Visual Studio and the .NET Framework (Pre-Release) . It has 16 threads, of which 8 have 0 replies, 5 have 1 reply, 2 have 2 replies, 1 has 3 replies.

2) I chose unread.

3) I marked all as read.

4) Went to IE, created a new username "deleteme", and responded to Xsd visual edition .

5) Waited about a minute, and the error showed up in FF.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Thanks Brian for the detailed info. I'll ping our team on this.

Forums Test Lead
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Thanx Don.

Can we have a birthday cake in a week-and-a-half, on this thread's anniversary?

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:06 PM