Downloading problems with OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to download and install Silverlight for my Windows XP but when the link to the page connects the connection is terminated.How do I remedy this?This holds true for other downloads I've tried.I tried several times to download and install a free AMV video convert tool for my MP3 player but all the zip files that I was able to download has failed tests before opening with a message of either corrupt or missing files.Would these be related to OneCare?Everything worked fine before I installed OneCare.HELP!I'm at the point of uninstalling OneCare and going back to my old antivirus program.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:07 PM

Answers

• I don't think it is OneCare, but it could be due to several things - a download accelerator, incorrect proxy settings in IE, a competing firewall from before OneCare was installed still present - these being the ones that come to mind right now.

You can eliminate OneCare as a source of the problem by opening OneCare, clicking on Change Settings, and temporarily turning off the firewall. Now try a download. If it succeeds, OneCare is involved, but isn't the cause.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:05 PM

All replies

• I don't think it is OneCare, but it could be due to several things - a download accelerator, incorrect proxy settings in IE, a competing firewall from before OneCare was installed still present - these being the ones that come to mind right now.

You can eliminate OneCare as a source of the problem by opening OneCare, clicking on Change Settings, and temporarily turning off the firewall. Now try a download. If it succeeds, OneCare is involved, but isn't the cause.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Steve thanks for taking a shot at it.I disabled my firewall to no avail.I've turned off my pop-up blocker to no avail as well.I know I don't have a download accelerator installed.Where I live I only have access to dial-up so a download accelerator is pretty well useless to me.Unless of course one is part of Windows XP,which I don't know.Why I blame OneCare is because these problems weren't present before installing OneCare.Do I have to add each site individually to safe sites?The problem exists when I try to click on links.If each site link has a different address,how do I add ones that my IE 7 won't connect to?Is there a way that I can disable OneCare as a whole to try without it running in the background?How do I change proxy settings in my IE 7?I would like to remedy this before I ditch OneCare.I change my anti-virus programs every so often and was hoping this one would be the most convenient to use.I try to use as much Microsoft programs as possible.To me they have the most to lose so I think they'd be on top of new threats.

-pete03
    Friday, January 18, 2008 3:29 PM