Whs rebuild failed !!! what now ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I hade 160GB, 1TB, 1TB hardrives. 160Gb (system) start to fail, so i bought 2TB replaced it and started installation.

I let the two 1TB remain connected and started reinstallation, it stopped at recovering data for 20 hours so i pressed reset.
    Well it started over and finilized it, and now am missing about 500GB data that was suppose to be replicated, only 35GB is intact. What do i do now?

Panic!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• The sketchy documentation on the recovery process doesn't adequately explain that recovering data can take a very long time, and that your server will appear to be hung during the recovery. For a terabyte, some users have reported times in excess of 2 days.

At this point, you can try another recovery, after first cleaning off the new system disk entirely. (The easiest way to do this is with the diskpart command line utility; read more about diskpart on technet and be very careful.)That may not work however, so I would recommend you go to the FAQ section, read the post titled How to recover data after server failure, and follow the procedure outlined therein.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I solved it.

Think it would had worked to do it all over again but consider it took 20h for about 35GB i estimate it would take a week for more then 500GB.
    Well this is how i solved it, if someone else wonder.

Removed 2x1TB, Reinstalled WHS clean on the 2TB hardrive.
    Attached the drives and imported them as BACKUP storage, without format them. (Ofcourse)
    All files was untouched in X:\DE\shares and i moved them into D:\shares.
    Removed them as backups and added them into storage pool.

Less then 24h operation!

Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Hi,

putting files directly to D:\shares will do you no good, if your server has more than one disk in the storage pool, since the system assumes tombstones here which are pointing to the real files on on the different data disk. Always target the UNC path (\\servername\sharename)!

Please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to understand how to backup the files.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:11 PM