Darin Smith MS - please respond RRS feed

Answers

• Hello ophelia906,

Quote from other thread:
      "I did notice that my computer indicates that I have Windows Vista Home Basic but the packaging of the CD that Microsoft sent me says "WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREM SP1...".  Again, since I know that the product key worked once I'm wondering why it's not working again."

If the CD says Home Premium and the Product Key (that you are using) came with that CD, then that is the problem.  The Product Key is for Home Premium and you have Home Basic installed.  A Home Premium Key will not work in a Home Basic install.

Retail Vista CDs come with all version of Vista on the disk. The Product Key is what tells the Windows installer which version of Windows to install. You stated that you couldn't find the Product key while you were installing.  So when you installed Windows without a key, Windows doesn't know what version of Windows to install so it asks the user (you or whoever install the Windows) to pick the version.  It appears that Home Basic was picked, when Home Premium should have been picked.

The resolution is to the issue is to install the Vista Home Premium using that Vista Home Premium key.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:49 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hello ophelia906,

Quote from other thread:
      "I did notice that my computer indicates that I have Windows Vista Home Basic but the packaging of the CD that Microsoft sent me says "WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREM SP1...".  Again, since I know that the product key worked once I'm wondering why it's not working again."

If the CD says Home Premium and the Product Key (that you are using) came with that CD, then that is the problem.  The Product Key is for Home Premium and you have Home Basic installed.  A Home Premium Key will not work in a Home Basic install.

Retail Vista CDs come with all version of Vista on the disk. The Product Key is what tells the Windows installer which version of Windows to install. You stated that you couldn't find the Product key while you were installing.  So when you installed Windows without a key, Windows doesn't know what version of Windows to install so it asks the user (you or whoever install the Windows) to pick the version.  It appears that Home Basic was picked, when Home Premium should have been picked.

The resolution is to the issue is to install the Vista Home Premium using that Vista Home Premium key.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:49 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:49 PM
  • No offense, but you took too long. Ended up solving the issue elsewhere. Thanks anyways though.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:09 AM