Customer Relations and Genuine Advantage RRS feed

• Question

• When I started this thread there were 4,175 threads under three headings mostly dealing with problems involved with Genuine Advantage.

On the reasonable assumption that most if not all of the people initiating those threads are genuine customers of Microsoft who have not knowingly got a fake program, a complete lack of concern for customers by Microsoft is revealed.

A substantial number of the threads involve false positives (cases where genuine programs have been wrongly identified as fakes), yet Microsoft persists in preventing those people from using their programs as they are entitled to do under their contract and blocking them from upgrades and additions.

Why do we, as customers, put up with it?

I personally am not going to and will never buy another Microsoft program (except for, with extreme reluctance, an OS) which I know has genuine advantage attached to it, unless there is a change of attitude at Microsoft.  Once my existing programs are out of date I will go elsewhere as I am not prepared to be treated as a thief any longer by Microsoft.

I very much hope that other people who have had the same experience will do the same and perhaps, just perhaps, Microsoft can be taught that it needs to look after customers and not hassle them, all for the sake of making more money by defeating the fraudsters.  Most of their customers are not fraudsters, but genuine, honest people, who are fed up with being treated as fraudsters.

David

Friday, April 6, 2007 7:45 AM

Answers

• You state: "a complete lack of concern for customers by Microsoft is revealed".  I find absolutely no evidence to support your assertion.  The WGA team exerts extraordinary measures to assist non-genuine Microsoft users to resolve their non-genuine issues, as evidenced by all the time-consuming help and dedication offered in this forum.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:27 PM
  • The evidence lies in the fact that customers who have bought genuine products are, because of a false positive, made to go through the hoops outlined in so many of the threads in this posting.  Why should genuine customers have to go though such hoops just to catch a few non-genuine ones?

You may not be a Microsoft employee and only a voluntary forum contributor, but, with respect, you have kept your eyes shut.

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Yes, everytime my vehicle has a problem, I have to go through "hoops" to get it fixed.  Same thing when I get sick, I have to go through "hoops" to see a doctor for a diagnosis.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Wdrspens,

You may find this of interest:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/mar07/03-30GenuineSoftware.mspx

You stated: "yet Microsoft persists in preventing those people from using their programs as they are entitled to do under their contract and blocking them from upgrades and additions".  The WGA system is not designed to hinder the use of an installed copy of Windows in any way, shape, or form.  The WGA system is a "rewards" system---as a customer reward for using Genuine Software, genuine customers are able to download nice to have programs like IE7, MP11, and Defender.

It is true that the complex interaction or battle, if you will, between Microsoft cryptographic technologies and hacker/pirate attempts to defeat such technologies occasionaly results in "collateral damage" on a computer that may throw a false positive, but as someone who has been posting here for about a year, I think that real instances of so-called false positives are in the very very small minority.  Remember that there have been over 600 million discreet WGA/OGA validations to date on an even bigger installed base; the real amazing thing is that there are not so many more problems.

If you are looking for an example of customers cheated by counterfeit product being royally screwed, look no further than your neighborhood bank.  If you are unknowingly duped and given a hi-quality counterfeit bank note, what would happen if you discovered it was counterfeit and took it to the bank or other government agency?  It would be confiscated and you would suffer a loss of the value of the note.  Under the same conditions, Microsoft will replace hi-quality counterfeit product with genuine product.  For a company the supposedly does not care about its customers, that's pretty generous, don't you think?

Friday, April 6, 2007 3:41 PM
  • But my software has no problem, so why should I have to go through the hoops?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 4:08 PM
  • No, it is not absolute,100%, success, but success to such a standard that it is not necessary to inconvenience innocent customers.  Is that too much to ask?

However, it appears I am ploughing a lone furrow on this topic, so Microsoft will probably triumph through inertia.

David

Saturday, April 7, 2007 7:48 AM

All replies

• You state: "a complete lack of concern for customers by Microsoft is revealed".  I find absolutely no evidence to support your assertion.  The WGA team exerts extraordinary measures to assist non-genuine Microsoft users to resolve their non-genuine issues, as evidenced by all the time-consuming help and dedication offered in this forum.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:27 PM
  • The evidence lies in the fact that customers who have bought genuine products are, because of a false positive, made to go through the hoops outlined in so many of the threads in this posting.  Why should genuine customers have to go though such hoops just to catch a few non-genuine ones?

You may not be a Microsoft employee and only a voluntary forum contributor, but, with respect, you have kept your eyes shut.

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Yes, everytime my vehicle has a problem, I have to go through "hoops" to get it fixed.  Same thing when I get sick, I have to go through "hoops" to see a doctor for a diagnosis.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Wdrspens,

You may find this of interest:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2007/mar07/03-30GenuineSoftware.mspx

You stated: "yet Microsoft persists in preventing those people from using their programs as they are entitled to do under their contract and blocking them from upgrades and additions".  The WGA system is not designed to hinder the use of an installed copy of Windows in any way, shape, or form.  The WGA system is a "rewards" system---as a customer reward for using Genuine Software, genuine customers are able to download nice to have programs like IE7, MP11, and Defender.

It is true that the complex interaction or battle, if you will, between Microsoft cryptographic technologies and hacker/pirate attempts to defeat such technologies occasionaly results in "collateral damage" on a computer that may throw a false positive, but as someone who has been posting here for about a year, I think that real instances of so-called false positives are in the very very small minority.  Remember that there have been over 600 million discreet WGA/OGA validations to date on an even bigger installed base; the real amazing thing is that there are not so many more problems.

If you are looking for an example of customers cheated by counterfeit product being royally screwed, look no further than your neighborhood bank.  If you are unknowingly duped and given a hi-quality counterfeit bank note, what would happen if you discovered it was counterfeit and took it to the bank or other government agency?  It would be confiscated and you would suffer a loss of the value of the note.  Under the same conditions, Microsoft will replace hi-quality counterfeit product with genuine product.  For a company the supposedly does not care about its customers, that's pretty generous, don't you think?

Friday, April 6, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Fascinating, the extent to which Microsoft will go to justify its own failure to devise a foolproof system that prevents its software from being copied.  Instead it's customers have to be inconvenienced on the risable premise that the WGA system is a "rewards" system.  If people who are entitled to the reward cannot get it, it is not a reward.  A genuine customer with a false positive cannot download the "nice to have" program.

Now someone suffering a false positive is said to suffer "collateral damage".  As I suggest in my original post, it will not be "collateral damage" it will be direct damage as people, like me, who have been loyal to Microsoft (since 1992 in my case) desert Microsoft.  What is the reason to remain loyal when Microsoft does not care?

David

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:04 PM
  • But my software has no problem, so why should I have to go through the hoops?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Wdrspens,

I see......"failure to devise a foolproof system".......you will be satisfied with nothing less that absolute, 100%, full, metaphysical perfection.  Haven't you heard of Murphy's Second Corollary:  "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious"?

As long as human beings are involved, it ain't gonna happen.

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:21 PM
  • No, it is not absolute,100%, success, but success to such a standard that it is not necessary to inconvenience innocent customers.  Is that too much to ask?

However, it appears I am ploughing a lone furrow on this topic, so Microsoft will probably triumph through inertia.

David

Saturday, April 7, 2007 7:48 AM