Fail to access WHS in different subnet. RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing a solution these days.
    For some reason,  I install  WHS on hyper-v in windows server 2008R2.   I bridged the virtual network adapter of guest OS and the physical adapter of host OS.
    On host OS, I set the network location to home.
    The host OS's network configuration:
    IP: 10.237.142.80   subnet:255.255.255.192   gateway: 10.237.142.126    proxy: 10.120.x.x:808
    The guest OS's network configuration:
    IP: 10.237.142.82   subnet:255.255.255.192   gateway: 10.237.142.126    proxy: 10.120.x.x:808   hostname:SERVER
    Client:  windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 

I can access the share folders of host OS(WIN2008R2) in different  subnet.  I also  can use RDP to connect the host OS in different subnet.
    I can ping the guest OS(WHS)'s IP  in different  subnet. 

The problem is: the client can neither access the share folders nor use RDP to connect to the WHS  in different  subnet.
    But these function works well if the client is in the same subnet.

Who can give me some advice what's wrong?

WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:39 PM

Answers

• The firewall exceptions for sharing and for Remote Desktop are probably set to My network (subnet) only. You can change them to Any computer (including those on the Internet) but you should be aware that you may be exposing your server to increased risk of malevolent activity, and that making changes to the firewall configuration on your server isn't supported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• The firewall exceptions for sharing and for Remote Desktop are probably set to My network (subnet) only. You can change them to Any computer (including those on the Internet) but you should be aware that you may be exposing your server to increased risk of malevolent activity, and that making changes to the firewall configuration on your server isn't supported.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:07 PM
    Dear,
       Thanks for your advice.  
       BTW, the ”firewall“ in  'firewall exceptions“ means the firewall of WHS?

WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:25 PM
    Dear,
       Thanks for your advice.  
       BTW, the ”firewall“ in  'firewall exceptions“ means the firewall of WHS?

WHS is ready!
    Dear Ken,
        Checking another WHS in my home, I find the firewall settings you said.   
        Besides RDP and sharing,   which exceptions should be revised to enable cross subnet backup/restore and  console?

WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:34 PM
  • I recommend you take a look at the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site, and in particular the Home Networking technical brief, found on the Help page. That will tell you what ports Windows Home Server uses for what purposes.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:44 PM