WHS2011 Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• WHS2011 is playing up bigtime. I jsut reinstalled because update would not longer work and I was unable to add roles (I was adding VPN) and all was going OK, or seemed to be.

Today I have updated with any outstanding updates. In itself not easy - it hung several times, so I ended up with doing only one at a time.

Now, ServerManager will start and immediately close itself down, everytime. Rebooted, not change. Is there a config file which may be corrupted I can delete.

So far this, whilst able to share documents and easily over the web, is turning into a white elephant. It used to play my music (iTunes derived) over the internet, but now refuses to play 60% of the tracks in an album claiming unsupported format, but happily plays others, though purchased at the same time. It seem updating breaks something every time, yet I dont want to be left exposed.

Hoping to avoid going back to the bare metal recovery I saved the other day, but if needs be....

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:19 AM

Answers

• ... and I was unable to add roles (I was adding VPN) ...

While I'm sure you don't want to hear this, adding roles is strictly against the EULA. Adding roles is also a good way to break core Windows Home Server functionality. The best advice is to use Windows Home Server for what it is, not for what you wish it was. I would go back to a backup pre-VPN, both because it's unsupported on Windows Home Server and because Windows isn't the best VPN endpoint. Personally, I'd look into a Sonicwall router, which includes VPN capabilities.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• ... and I was unable to add roles (I was adding VPN) ...

While I'm sure you don't want to hear this, adding roles is strictly against the EULA. Adding roles is also a good way to break core Windows Home Server functionality. The best advice is to use Windows Home Server for what it is, not for what you wish it was. I would go back to a backup pre-VPN, both because it's unsupported on Windows Home Server and because Windows isn't the best VPN endpoint. Personally, I'd look into a Sonicwall router, which includes VPN capabilities.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken and OK, so I get that point. The previous 2 occasions I have had to rebuild have been after a stock WHS2011 stopped updating, refused to share media, claiming it was turned off, but yet is was turned on and then stopped the dashboard working completely.

So VPN not the the best nor supported, but I have to say even the advertised and core functions seem less than robust......

If no suggestions I will of course back track, but becoming bit too familiar with the process!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:22 PM