Money 2006 RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently done a standard update to Windows 10, after the completion of the update Microsoft Money 2006 will no longer open, it says that my Live ID and password are incorrect.  I have never had a Live ID /email address assigned to this program and I have used the same password forever.  I have deleted updates dating before the update that caused the problem, I have changed the registry value, I have uploaded the Money Sunset Deluxe and tried to backup / restore program and nothing works.  At this point I'm not sure what I can do to retrieve the 25 years of accounts that are on that program or if there is a fix?  Please help if you can...Thanks in advance.

Michelle Rains

Friday, March 9, 2018 3:56 PM

All replies

• Save copies of your backups (*.mbf files) on different, media in case something goes wrong.

For Money Plus, do the patch described in the first (sticky) post on this forum.

Then note: You could save time at any time by jumping to the last paragraph below,
    or you could go through the steps below:

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money Plus\ or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate
    to the Portfolio.  Does it display?  If not, the problem is
    probably with your installation.

If Sample.mny works correctly, your installation is probably
    OK. While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Was your symptom that Money would not open successfully?
    While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList
    Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem
    with your Money installation or your Windows settings.Install Money Plus
    Deluxe Sunset with the link in what is currently the second (sticky)
    post in this forum. Then put the patched DLL described in what is currently
    the first post in this forum into place.

Make an extra copy of your backups onto other
    media in case you want to restore one that pre-dates the problem.
    You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and selecting
    your regular file from the list at the bottom.

If Sample.mny does open successfully, you can try a
     File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is
    simple, but it probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try
    making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If it still does not work, try restoring a backup that pre-dates
    the problem. Try your newest, or second-newest or even older backup.

Friday, March 9, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Hi Michelle. Having the same problem and also posted a question about this. I have been successfully running USMoneyBizSunset on a windows 10 upgrade for several years now, but after recent win 10 updates I can no longer login with the same email and password I have using forever. Patches, password changes, sunset re-installs and  backup restores have been fruitless. Lost 25 years of accounts too. We cannot be the only ones struggling with this which I feel is surely a result of the recent win 10 updates, and so we all would be most grateful if some techie out there would come up with a fix.

Friday, March 30, 2018 1:29 PM
  • Edit: I would first try the solution described in https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2294447d-ea55-4c07-986a-ce4df2a3f800/microsoft-money-deluxe-installation-on-windows-10?forum=money

===============

OteAte, I am sorry to hear of your problem. Can you open Sample.mny, which has no password?

What I think I would do in your case is to try installing Money Plus Biz onto a Windows 7 computer, and try your *.mny or *.mbf files there.  Then remove your Live ID password.

I expect the problem with Windows 10 update to be resolved, but in the mean time, your current stress would be greatly reduced if you knew you had a working file.

I just wrote out some general advice.  I know you have tried #1 and #5 already, but if you are able to locate a Windows 7 computer, make sure you do #5 again. However I thought I would try it out on this thread first:

============= general advice==========
    1. Note some Windows 10 users have reported success getting back into their Microsoft Money files after using System Restore to restore back to a point before a recent update. I don't know what the suspected update is.

2. If any Money Plus, 2007, or 2006 users use a Live ID (email address plus password), they should remove that with File-> Password Manager. This can only be done if they can get into the Money file. They could then use a "Money password" if they want a password at all. Money 2005 users don't have this ability, and must continue to log in offline.

3. Do not attempt to reset your Live ID as the program may suggest. Any attempt to do so will not be effective. Only the credentials in effect at the time that you last successfully got in to your Money file will work.

4. Most users of Money should block all Money access from the Internet to prevent it from trying to access servers that no longer exist. This is a speed issue.

5. When users install or reinstall Money Plus, they should apply the patch described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

For information on how to do one of these things, use the search box above to find prior posts. If the user cannot find the information, the user should post a new thread asking how to perform the desired action.

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Hi Cal. Thanks for your response. I have resolved the password issue having found that it is actually not the Windows Live ID (email and password) that money is looking for but rather the file's ID. After the recent Windows 10 background update when it shut down my USMoneyBizSunset  without properly closing one of the files, I was unable to login to the  program, and had to do a re-install after aplying the recommended patches. After reinstall I was unable to restore the most recent backup (corrupt file?), but eventually managed to successfully restore a very old backup dated 2015-10-19. The latest backup seems to restore but then declares my Money installation invalid and asks that I run setup again - done so endlessly with same result. Unfortunately the Microsoft Money repair (salvage) tool is for repairing .mny files and not .mbf (backup) files.
    Friday, March 30, 2018 9:29 PM
  • By default, Money Plus keeps the latest 4 upon-exit backups and the latest 4 scheduled backups. I would suggest increasing that number. I presume you searched your storage for newer *.mbf files. One way to do that is to run this command in a command window:

dir \*.mbf /s

In Money Plus: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _15_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _6_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a other storage, possibly cloud storage.

Friday, March 30, 2018 9:51 PM