none
Sync Toy 2.0 Beta using ECHO causing duplicate files. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm using Vista and doing echo backups of folders.  From C: to D:.

D is fine, but C: is starting to fill up with duplicate files.  No idea why. 

It looks like FILE.doc  and then FILE1.doc  and FILE2.doc

But I have echo so nothing like that should be occuring on C:

Any ideas?

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you tell me a little bit more about your configuration?  In which direction are you doing the echo?  Which drive is the left one, and which the right one?

Maria del Mar Alvarez - MSFT

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Sure, thanks.

The echo goes from C: to D:, left to right.  I also did the same for two external drives as a test, same results.  E: to F: (left to right).  There was another drive early on with another profile, it was C: to E: (left to right).  I would run them both but removed the C:toE: to see if that would clear up my problem.

I removed SyncToy and reinstalled last night, it happened again.  No idea what is going on.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:35 AM

• Hi all,
    Same thing here. My echo goes from C: to Q: (left to right) and in Q: I have duplicate files for outlook archive like this:
    archive.pst
    archive.1.pst

Any idea?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Hi all

The answer to this problem has been posted in the SyncToy FAQ's.  Here is the link http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3753122&SiteID=75.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:25 AM
  • If you're strictly doing an ECHO from C: to other drives, you should never see .1, .2 files appearing on C:. I suspect you're doing Synchronize with some folder to C: and that's where the files are coming from. As Maria pointed above, the FAQ post contains the scenarios where these files appear.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:33 AM
    Answerer
  • I wish that were true, but I have only just installed Sync Toy.  That's the only sync going on.  It's happening.  And I never even tested a sync to C:

The FAQ also doesn't help my situation.  It's a brand new computer even, though I have installed a few programs.  Some of these files are accessed repeatedly, but I haven't found a pattern with those that get a .1 or .2 and how much they are accessed.  I was thinking that maybe some date stamp or some other item might be affecting it.  They aren't changed in any way, so no size difference.  Just accessed.

It's a Vista machine as well.

Right now I'm looking to see if I might not find more info on where everything in Sync Toy is stored and completely uninstall.  I noticed that a regular uninstall and reinstall will leave all the old syncs still there.  Must be some registry entries or folder that I need to kill.  Possibly my case is a bad original install.  I'd try anything to get it working right. 

Other than the .1 issue, it's a great program.  But that's such a huge problem to me right now.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:03 AM
  • May be the programme for duplicate files' removing will help you? I had a lot of duplicates of musical files on my PC. That's why I was recommended programme Clone Remover. I make the [URL="http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/236"]check for duplicate files[/URL] my PC with the help of the programme Clone Remover. Now it is more free place on my PC :)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:07 PM