none
Can't change my windows live ID RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to change my windows live ID and can't seem to do it.  I am not using a live or hotmail account.  I'm going to account.live.com and going to click "change" and get this "temporary error" every time and it doesn't ever change.  This has been going for about a year and I can't seem to figure out.  I was told that I should try to change it on my xbox, but that didn't work either.

I figured, maybe I haven't created a live account with my GMail, so I go to create one, but it says that an account exists with my e-mail already, which I presume may have been done when I got a Zune a while back.  This didn't work.  I tried resetting my password using my GMail and I got a message that no account exists with that e-mail, thus negating the fact that I was informed that I did have an association.

Edit:  When trying to reset the PW for my GMail, I get "The Windows Live ID is incorrect. Please try again."

When trying to create a new live association, I get:  "xyz@gmail.com is already a Windows Live ID. If this is your ID, you can use it to"

That is not the e-mail that I'm trying to use, but it the error I'm getting.  Got to have some privacy.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• This isn't the right forum for live id support issues. If you want to assign your forums profile to a new/different live id you can ask for that here.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:25 PM
  • I've been trying to change my windows live ID and can't seem to do it.  I am not using a live or hotmail account.  I'm going to account.live.com and going to click "change" and get this "temporary error" every time and it doesn't ever change.  This has been going for about a year and I can't seem to figure out.  I was told that I should try to change it on my xbox, but that didn't work either.

I figured, maybe I haven't created a live account with my GMail, so I go to create one, but it says that an account exists with my e-mail already, which I presume may have been done when I got a Zune a while back.  This didn't work.  I tried resetting my password using my GMail and I got a message that no account exists with that e-mail, thus negating the fact that I was informed that I did have an association.

Edit:  When trying to reset the PW for my GMail, I get "The Windows Live ID is incorrect. Please try again."

When trying to create a new live association, I get:  "xyz@gmail.com is already a Windows Live ID. If this is your ID, you can use it to"

That is not the e-mail that I'm trying to use, but it the error I'm getting.  Got to have some privacy.

Well you can change your email address associated with an existing ID. You can also request access to an account that you can't get to: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-request-access-to-a-previous-msdn-or-technet-account-that-you-cannot-access.aspx

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:29 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I changed my ID a few days ago using exactly what you described at the beginning of the post (account.live.com and clicking "change" against the id - effectively bringing me to https://account.live.com/ChangeId.aspx ). There was something about not being able to use one of my already registered email so I chose a different one and it worked fine. I'm still having problems with the other changes though :(

p.s. I'm using IE8 if that makes a difference.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:11 AM
  • I changed my ID a few days ago using exactly what you described at the beginning of the post (account.live.com and clicking "change" against the id - effectively bringing me to https://account.live.com/ChangeId.aspx ). There was something about not being able to use one of my already registered email so I chose a different one and it worked fine. I'm still having problems with the other changes though :(

p.s. I'm using IE8 if that makes a difference.
    I am using FireFox.  I have IE9 as a web browser as well, but I don't use it.  I think my GMail account got registered when I had a Zune, but, problem is that when I try to recover password, it reports that I have no account.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Called MS Support.  They said they tried "everything" to get my gmail account setup and it appears as if it may have been used in the past, but was never fully setup.  So, just use a different e-mail.  Well, if I wanted to do that, I would have done it by now.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:01 PM
  • *sighs*

Did you find the support thread that says if you have changed your ID, you can't change it for another 6 months unless you are changing it back to the original one? When I was changing mine I couldn't use the email address that I really wanted because it was already one of my alert emails or my password reset ones. So I used another then removed the proper one from the alerts, etc. Now I can't use the one I really want for another 6 months.

There might be good (supposedly security) reasons for it; but I wished they had warned me noisily about the 6 month rule before I'd gone ahead.

Never mind, eh!?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I did not, but to be honest, I used this e-mail/login about a year or more ago.  i haven't tried to change anything in a long time.  Maybe longer than a year.

I'm officially baffled.  In the event that I had a partial profile filled out, but not complete, can't they just wipe that data out?  I was on hold for about 45 minutes when the tech was looking it up.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:20 PM
  • This isn't the right forum for live id support issues. If you want to assign your forums profile to a new/different live id you can ask for that here.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:25 PM

Well you can change your email address associated with an existing ID. You can also request access to an account that you can't get to: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-request-access-to-a-previous-msdn-or-technet-account-that-you-cannot-access.aspx

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:29 AM
    Owner
  • how are you friends?

1-i want to change my windows live but always display  can't be change in this time 

2- how to connect between 2 hotmail 

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:09 AM