Playing audio from home server - is it possible with 3rd party hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I have a machine in the basement with an m-audio PCI card in it.  If I were to install Home Server on this machine, would I be able to do the following:

1.  Install the Zune software so I can access Zune Marketplace.

2.  Play audio in the Zune player so that the output goes to my m-audio card, which then goes to my stereo upstairs?

Thanks,

jb

Thursday, May 1, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

1. According to reports elsewhere in the forum, you can't install the Zune software on Windows Home Server. You can install it on some other PC and have it monitor shares on the server for music, however.
    2. It's possible to get audio working in Windows Home Server, but that's a function not normally performed by a server.

Overall, the preferred solution for media and Windows Home Server is a "two box" solution, where the server contains the media, and the other box (a Media Center PC, in theory) serves the files up to Media Center extenders, etc.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Since I'm hoping to be able to browse the Zune marketplace and stream audio, it looks like this isn't a good solution for me.  If I had a bunch of downloaded content, that would be a different story and I would likely go with a Media Center Extender for sure - but I don't always prefer to download...

jb

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Where I do prefer (legal) download to streaming. Different strokes for different folks. (Then too, I have close to 200 GB of audio files, 90+ percent ripped from CDs I own...)

BTW, an Xbox 360 is a great Media Center Extender. And if you're into that sort of thing, you can even play an occasional game. Smile
    Friday, May 2, 2008 12:37 AM